• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I feel so stupid...two poorly and one poss pregnant bunny[EDIT we have a new problem]

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
After moving our neatured (last week) bunny next to our unspayed (16 weeks old) female last night all was going well, they seemed fine with each other and no-one was biting to get out like we had seen before.

However- I got home from work to find the male sat inside the females NIC set up and her hiding inside her carrier. There was fur everywhere so I whisked them both off to the vets.

Turns out she has a nasty bite mark to her leg and he has a scratch to his eye. And obviously she could be pregnant!

I feel so stupid for putting them within sight of each other. He has jumped a 2 panel high NIC wall to get out of his enclosure, and then another 2 panel high one to get into hers. They are both a bit shaken up at the minute but seem to be ok.

I have Septrin and Metacam for the female, Metacam and Fucithalmic for the males eye.

Luckily she hadnt done any damage to his neature wound and things could have been much worse. I just hope she has fought him off enough to stop him humping too much.

Do you think I will ever be able to bond these two now or will then remember this incident and hate each other forever?

Rachael

p.s please only supportive posts- I know I should have thought about him jumping out but he has never done it before and I didnt realise he would be able to jump that high with nothing on the other side. It's over a metre!

Last edited:
Awww!!! I hope your rabbits will recover from their wounds and they'll be ok. You know your mistake so I'm not going to bash you for it. Maybe consider having her spayed now, so if she is pregnant, it'll terminate the pregnancy.

Norty boy !!

Firstly well done for getting them straight off to the Vets. Hopefully they will both heal well :)

It is possible that the Doe is now pregnant. Would your Vet consider spaying her in a few days time once she has some antibiotics in her system to fight off any infection from the bite wounds. Whilst 16 weeks is young for a spay IMO it would be better for her than becoming a Mum at just 5 months of age.

Have a chat with the Vet and see what they think :)

Im not very experienced with things like this but just wanted to say that my girls were both spayed at 4 months and were fine :) hope they are both ok

She is only small so the vet wont spay her for at least another month. Im taking her back in a week for a check up and the vet says she might be able to feel if she is pregnant.

I really hope she isnt but if she is then I know it is my fault and will be raising and keeping any babies.

Cost me a bloody fortune!

I know! He has been looking very pleased with himself all evening! She is now in another room with a door that closes properly so unless he can figure out how to twist a door knob im thinking we're safe!

With regard to bonding them in the future, if it is done on neutral territory there is a good chance that this will be successful.

Shows how desperate men can get!!! :lol: My Cloud used to climb up cage walls like a squirrel, he probably would have done exactly the same thing.

I hope both bunnies will be ok. All my females were neutered at around 4 months and they were all fine, but if your vet won't risk it, then you'll have to wait for about 30 days.

hehe ive known horses crash through fences when there feeling abit horny haha (mainly females trying to get to gelded males...haha must be disapointing when they get there!)

Two panels high is only about 2ft so maybe he needs a 3rd panel to make it 3ft haha (3ft 3inc = metre btw :D )

I also had climbing buns this morning and found the pair of mine sittng on top of the other rabbits cage (who is recovering from her spey from yesturday) tearing apart one of the small pet advent calanders from p@h that we still have.... typical

Ah bless them!

Do you think its worth ringing another vet to see if they would do the op?

I dont want to risk doing it if she is too young but alot of people on here have said they had females done at 4 months. The vet said 6 months at first but then said she might be able to do it at 5 if she is big enough. She said at the minute she was too small.

She is only just 4 months and would obviously need it doing asap and she is rather small. (I think her weight was 2.3 kg but I may be wrong).

what is it with climbing buns at the mo, biggles my 5 an half year ole bun decided for the first time to leap the two panel nic cage today and the set up has been up for months now and hes never been a jumper before, doc is my climber and escapee,

a mistake has been made, dont worry in terms of determination buns can handle a few scary tumbles, you did the right thing and got them checked out, so nothing but a few fusses a treats to help calm back to their ole self, there is hope of a bond on neutral ground you got someone local once shes recovered from her spay to do it for you :)

2.3 kg is quite heavy, are they going to be big bunnies? My two medium sized lops (around 3kg in weight) were neutered at 4 months, and my Nethie cross girl probably at that age, too, I can't really remember, as the rescue had done it already. I recently had two small lop girls, and had them neutered at 4 months, because their hormones had started to show. Maybe you can ask another vet. :)

Spice is 0.65kg at 6 months old! She was done two months ago and the vet said she was fine :) :) he is a good vet but i suppose its the size when your vet feels comfortable :D but that size should be no problem. Our vets has two prices, cheaper between 4-6 months, then higher after 6 months, is good coz will encourage people to spey earlier :D

Bubbles was around 5 mths old when I got her spayed I think, but our vet is willing to spay from around 4 mths. She is a very small mini lop and weighed less than 1kg too, but our vets go by age rather than weight.

Is there another vet at the practice you go to, or you could ask another vet's practice? One vet told me that she wouldn't spay Bubbles until she was 6 mths old and over a kilo in weight, but the other vet at the same practice was willing to do it earlier - as explained in the first part of my post. ;)

I will try ringing after work today and see if I can find a vet who would be willing to do it. The male is a lop and he is quite big but she is a lion head and looks rather small (I may have her weight wrong, will ring and ask them what it was).

I dont want to put her through an op if she isnt ready for it but then again I also dont want to put her through having babies at 5 months if she is pregnant.

Its such a tough decision- will give my vets a call after work and ask for some advice, and will try another local vets and see what they say.

Don't worry about all this. The posts have been great and some great advice. Sending my love to them and keep me posted. Sending vibes for them both xx

Rang my vet and she says she will spey her if thats what I want to do! Got her booked in for tomorrow morning. Really pleased as it will mean she definately wont be having bunnies, and works out perfectly for bonding. I can now bond them Feb half term which will be 3 weeks after her spey and 5 weeks after his neauter whereas before I was going to have to either bond before her spey (as they wouldnt do it till 6 months) or wait till my next holiday at easter!

So there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Thank you to everyone for their support! Just hope my bank account is big enough- £200 in two days makes her a very expensive bunny!

That's good news and great that they can be bonded sooner now. Hope it all goes well tomorrow. :love::love:

I was just going to add that I had my girls spayed at about 4 months because they had started fighting, it turned out that my smallest one was already pregnant but the vet said that it may have been she wouldnt have survived the pregnancy/labour being so small. She had gotten pregnant either just before they came to us or within the first few days. I had been told the rabbits were younger than they really were but when I saw the humping start I whipped out the boy and sent him for the snip!

Back