• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Childrens corner/ petting zoo

lotsofsmoggies

Mama Doe
Just having a general think whilst cleaning out the piggies and started to think about all the times I have seen rabbits in childrens parts of zoo's etc... Do you think these are good idea as it may encourage parents to buy a rabbit for their child when a rabbit was in a childs petting corner? Shouldn't these places offer better education for people?

I've seen in two different places really rubbish advice one zoo said rabbits live for 3 years another place said that Guinea pigs should have hay as a treat. If I was someone who knew nothing I'd believe it as you trust what a place who's living is looking after animals wouldn't you? And how many times do they just have a bowl full of museli stuff and thats it. Drives you mad seeing this sort of stuff.

Off for a lie down now that was a long think for me. ;)

In one childrens corner on a farm, it was ok, as the rabbits were allowed to hide in their houses away from children, and maybe the children are less likely to want an animal that runs away (although not good for the rabbit as it can't have peace). They used to plonk rabbits on childrens laps, which meant they were viewed as cuddly things which would be bad. As long as the rabbits can have something spacious and safe place to go to get away from children, it's ok, but otherwise, it's very bad.

I went to a half decent one... They had rabbits and guinea pigs but wouldn't let children hold the rabbits, just stroke them if they came by. They were allowed to hold the guinea pigs and give them a bit of veg but they didn't let the kids hold onto them for too long.

Back