• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What a trip to the vets!!!

Hello
I took Honey back to the vets last night, due to her eye still being sore.
She had conjunctivits in it when I got her and we had some eye drops and Baytril from the vet to give her, but I noticed at the weekend, that it was quite sore again.

So we arrived and I explained I needed her teeth checking and either her Myxi or VHD doing.
So she checked her teeth - they were fine.
Then she said as she was such a good girl, they would try and flush the tear ducts.

So off Honey went wrapped in her towel to get her eye flushed.
i waited a few minuites and then the vet came rushing back in with Honey and said she had to go, as a cat had been rushed in and had been run over by a car.:cry::cry::cry:
The vet told me the duct was blocked and I was to give her more eye drops and to take her back on Friday. She very quickly gave her a jab (can't remember which one now:oops::oops: - need to phone and ask) and left.

I Know it was an emergency for the cat, but Honey was really quite shaken by all of it and I came away, not able to dicuss things and to make matters worse - Honey ignored me for 3 hours!!! She must have felt very let down by me!! I kind of feel, cheated. I know that sounds selfish and I really hope the cat is alright, but I had questions to ask:oops::oops:
If the eye drops don;t work, what happens next? will they try and flush again? Will they need to put her under a GA?
By the way, I'm not saying the vet shouldn't have gone to help out with the cat. I hope I'm making myself clear here, I just felt cheated a little!
I do hope the cat survived - I must ask about it when I call the vets in a minute.:cry::cry:

If the duct is blocked then it may be a permanent problem. It depends on how much damage has been done. Scar tissue alone can cause thickening and make the duct blocked. If this were to be the case then the condition would need lifelong management.

If the Vet can clear the blockage it may need to be done under GA. The duct is very delicate and can easily rupture. It's impossible to say if the problem is tooth related or not without taking a skull Xray to assess the tooth roots

:)

They could have left a nurse to explain what was wrong/which vacc? :?

I have just called the vets and they have no record of a jab being done:shock::shock:
I know it was done, because I rubbed Honeys neck after, because the vet didn't.
The receptionist is going to speak to the vet tomorrow and find out which one it was and call me, but she was in such a hurry to get to the cat, (understandably), I hope she remembers because I have to take Honey back in 2 weeks time for the other one. I don't know what the risks are if she has the same one again!!!

The thing is, I could have waited for someone to explain, but I thought I'd leave them to it, as it was an emergency and they made me feel like job was done and I could leave.

I've just thought, if it was VHD, my Eric was a little under the weather when he had his done, which might explain Honey not wanting to be with me.
Poor little girl - put in a carrier, mouth prised open, eye flushed and a needle stuck in her, and then put back in the carrier and a short journey home. I think I'd feel a little sorry for Myself too.:cry::cry:

If the duct is blocked then it may be a permanent problem. It depends on how much damage has been done. Scar tissue alone can cause thickening and make the duct blocked. If this were to be the case then the condition would need lifelong management.

If the Vet can clear the blockage it may need to be done under GA. The duct is very delicate and can easily rupture. It's impossible to say if the problem is tooth related or not without taking a skull Xray to assess the tooth roots

:)

Hi Jane - straight to the rescue as usual (thank Heavens)

This morning Honey had a little discharge -yellow and quite thick. It was only a tiny bit, but is that a good sign? DO you think this may be the duct clearing itself a bit after the flush?

Back