• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Still sneezing

Hi snowball has finished his course of antibiotics and the vet said he could still sneeze afterwards... but his sneezin seems worse... how long should the sneezin continue after he has finished his antibiotics... hes havin violent sneezes... and he is no where near hay, or sawdust or owt... i had to pick him up during his sneezin n calm him down cos he was gettin distressed.... im gettin worried he wont get over this... he plays up when it comes to takin antibiotics... needin help... is there another way for him to take antibiotics other than in liquid form maybe... please help... dont like seein him like this

It might be that you had an antibiotic that did not work on this bacteria. There are a good few injectable antibiotics though, but I don't know enough to explain them to you. Maybe someone useful might come along soon. I would suggest talking to your vet though.

What does he have? An upper respiratory infecrion? Pastuerella?

I would take him back to the Vets.
The Vet may want to prescribe a longer course of antibiotics and/or try a different antibiotic.

A thorough Dental examination would be a good idea too. Chronic sneezing can be caused by Dental problems.

Is he producing any discharge from his nose when he sneezes?
Is he maintaining his weight?

hes very happy, eating properly etc... and as soon as i saw discharge i took him to the vets... he had an injection there, and a week of antibiotics... i took him back yesterday his temp was back down, no discharge n she said sneezin may continue but it seems to be gettin worse... no discharge although his nose is a bit wet after a lot of sneezin... but another course of antibiotics by mouth isnt goin to work... he plays up too much and nothing works, even wrappin him up, addin his fav juice, puttin it on food... puttin it in water nothin... he also seems more needy... wantin my attention more... his play room is in the bathroom n im havin to stay in here with him cos if i go for a bit like i normally do he starts throwin heavy things until i come up... im watchin things on my laptop n hes tuggin at my clothes until i fuss him... he loves a good fuss but this aint like him, i work thurs, fri & sat's... is he goin to be ok....

took him to the vets again this evening, on another course of antibiotics but to go in his water n hopefully he will drink.... think i might be sleepin with him tonight tho... seen as he is clingin to me... in the vets he kept running from the vet and jumpin in my arms... its nice he wants me but heart breaking knowin he is unwell and that im at work tomorrow... all day n have to leave him.... he is gonna be really upset when i leave in the morning... as everytime i have left the room he has started throwin things and kickin up a fuss... its upsettin... hes only a baby... he dont deserve this... vet said the antibiotics should control it... which they seemed to last time but as soon as he was off them he was ill again... dont want him to be on antibiotics forever... if he is... petsathome are goin to be well out of pocket... i just hope the rest of his litter are ok... i also hope they have contacted petsathome and got some money back if there ill... they shouldnt sell them if they knew they could of been infected... sorry im rantin now... just a bit upset lol... i rant when im upset... thanks for ur help tho guys

Back