• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Taking a wee sample

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Have just got the results of eclipses blood test and there is nothing to worry about, but they want me to get a urine sample from him. I have to phone the vets tomrrow so they can talk me through it, any tips? No one will help me and he's rather feisty!
Thanks. Xx

They should give you a pipette and bottle. Give him a new clean litter tray with no bedding in it and hope for the best. Once he has gone suck the urine up with the pipette and put in the bottle and get to the vets as soon as possible as it needs to be fresh :)

Wheni needed urine from Tilly the vets gave me these fancy plastic balls which you put in a litter tray or carrier and the bun pee'd on them and they soaked it up you then put them into a tube and stuck a pipette in and sucked the urine out, i'm not sure how they worked but they did

Wheni needed urine from Tilly the vets gave me these fancy plastic balls which you put in a litter tray or carrier and the bun pee'd on them and they soaked it up you then put them into a tube and stuck a pipette in and sucked the urine out, i'm not sure how they worked but they did

They gave me those initially but bunny started eating them so wouldn't recommend them

Never done this for a Rabbit but we had to get a Hamster urine sample! We used the empty litter tray as suggested and sucked up the urine in a new syringe and put it in to the bottle the vet provided. I'm sure this would work the same for a bunny. P.s I seem to remember having to keep it in the fridge until we could get it to the vet! Good luck!

My vet managed to express the bladder to get a wee sample (did it on a clean examination table then sucked it up with a syringe)
Another one I've heard is using (well-cleaned) fish gravel in the litter tray, so the bun has 'litter' to wee on but it doesn't absorb the wee

Cool, so they can do it at the vets rather then send it off to a lab? :)

I would think so, I supose it depends what they are looking for. The basics should be able to be done at the surgery, anything more complicated would be sent off so take a little longer for the results :)

Back