• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

the boys bonding isn't working out so well...

AprilLynne

Warren Scout
They had a huge fight last night - it took me a while to separate them. Maxwell had bitten out piles of William's fur and then clamped his jaw down on William's tail to pull him back in the pen when I tried to separate them. William left limping with one of his eyes shut!! He's ok now and the eye is fine. It doesn't look like any blood was d rawn. But I don't think I can try them together again! I'm so distraught!! I don't want to send Maxwell back to the shelter - he's such a sweet boy when they aren't together! My parents may adopt him - they love having William for visits and have everything he'd need to be a happy house bunny. I'm not sure if I will try bonding William again... He's so used to being a bachelor and furious with having an intruder in his place. I might try again after some time passes, but it will definitely be with a girl!

I'm so sorry to hear it hasn't worked out, it seemed to be going so well to start with :(

It did start that way... But their initial 3 day bonding was on neutral territory at the shelter. When William realized his playmate would be coming home to live with him, he made it known that he wasn't happy.

Part of the problem may be that they're too similar in age.

Males IMO are harder to bond than a male/female combo.

Both boys are only 8 weeks difference in age which means they have both reached maturity at the same time, and rabbits like to distinguish a clear hierarchy, which is difficult when they're the same age.

I hope your parents are able to take Maxwell - at least you'd still get to see him.

Back