• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how do you check the teeth?

Ted an Petal

Warren Veteran
just looking to know what are the syptoms of over grown teeth and spurs on the molars? i can sort of check teds teeth at the front but can't really check petals, is it necassairy to check them regular or should i go on how well their eating? just in casey.

To get a view of the molars you'd need an Otoscope. Even then it can be very tricky to get a good view of the very back ones.

Signs of molar problems include :
Selective Feeding
Poor Hay consumption
Drooling/Excessive salivation
Reduced gut motility (small hard poos/very few poos)
Mucky bottom (a bun with molar spurs often cant/wont eat their caecotrophs)
Cheyleitiella Mites (a Dental Bun often cant groom themself very well)
Runny eyes/sneezing/'Snuffles'
Behaviour change (eg aggression to other Buns/people. Depression/nervousness in a previously 'happy' Bunny.
A lumpy jawline (from elongated tooth roots).

Your Vet should check your Buns teeth when Bun is vaccinated or whenever you consult them with a poorly Bun.

thats great thanks jack jane. when they went for their first vaccs the vet didn't check but at a different vets now and ted is due in april so will get her to check them for me. they seem fine but just worry incase i miss something.

I've noticed that I ca pick mine up through gut slowdown, but not when they get smaller poos, just when I notice their gut an tummy does not look normal. For my buns this means that they never get lacerations or anything else associated with spurs and they get through the anaesthetic better than. It's defintiely one of those things that the sooner you pick up, the better (both for the bun, for your pocket, and for the future). Too many people miss the signs, good on you for wanting to know what to look for :)

You can check their incisors but not their back teeth unless you get a vet to do it with an othoscope (?..sp?)

Sorry I'm adding another question, but it is sort of related.

How often do most bunnies need their teeth taken care of?

:lol: thanks happy hopping not sure if i should've looked at these photos first thing in the morning. i'll take a closer look this afternoon.

Back