• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do siblings breed?

Maria786

Warren Scout
This is just a hypothetical question, but if a family of rabbits is kept, the mum and dad get the neuturing after their first litter, and the babies get to stay with their parents. Will the babies breed with each other when they reach adult hood?

Yes. Apparently if you keep 2 un-neutered buns together within a year you will have a 1000 rabbits.

From 10 weeks, boys plums can drop. And not long after the females can get pregnant & then they can keep dropping litters every 4 weeks of their life.

yes they will breed with each other from as young as 11 weeks
and also remember mum can get pregnant withihn 24 hours of giving birth and dad will stay fertile for up to 6 weeks after his neuter op

Dare I say please don't breed at all. If you are unware of basic facts like the ones above you really shouldn't consider having any litters as does can have problems giving birth.
If you would like more rabbits go to your local rescue centre instead!:D

This is just a hypothetical question, but if a family of rabbits is kept, the mum and dad get the neuturing after their first litter, and the babies get to stay with their parents. Will the babies breed with each other when they reach adult hood?

also just to add, that the 'families' dont all live happily ever after! I have two bun - brother and sister - who had a litter and we have one remaining baby from this litter and I have seperate this baby now as the mum and dad both fight with her.

A long time ago my 2 guinea pigs had babies at the same time (long story :roll:) anyway as a result I had 4 boys and 3 girl baby pigs. They were all related, the mums were sisters and it was the same bore who was dad to all the babies. As soon as they could the boys wouldn't leave their sisters or mothers alone :shock: These tiny little pigs were humping everything in sight :shock:

I know you are asking about rabbits not pigs but I am sure with regards to breeding then they are much the same.

Yes - bunnies don't have any taboos about incest and will breed at the first opportunity which is about 10-12 weeks old. And if they do they run an increased risk of health problems and deformities.

Yes, they don't have the same social taboos that we have :lol:. Aside from breeding, much of the time unneutered siblings will fight in exactly the same way as any unneutered rabbits once they reach sexual maturity.

We had a father-daughter mating at school once....for Eddie's defense he hadn't met Patches before so he probably didn't know they were related....but even if he did he'd probably still do it. :roll:

I just fantasised about the idea for a minute or so hehe. I won't be turning it into reality, it's hard enough looking after one bunny let alone that many. It's interesting to find out these "facts" about bunnies.

xxxx

Back