• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recovery Sachets - how do I do them pls???

CarmenCole

Mama Doe
The little bunny I took in yesterday hasn't pood or eaten. How do I mix recovery up please? I have 2 sachets, I know he needs one, but what do I mix it with? How often do I give him food? When should I try him with baby food again? Should I be trying to give him grated carrots/greens?
I have to take Ty to school now, then I will start on syringe feeding when I get back in the door. :cry:
Help please all you guys who have done this before - I'm feeling a little out of my depth.

i think you just add water till they are quite slugdy but not too thick to get out of a syringe... if you cut the tip off too its easier... little and often i think i was told to give :D

I just mix up a small amount at a time,to a consistency that will pour easily and therefore come out of the syringe!

My vets usually say every 2 hours I think and it is much easier if you cut the end off the syringe (vets usually do that for me!)....good luck!

Has the Vet given him any meds ?

If he has Dental problems he probably cant eat as opposed to wont eat :cry:

With the Recovery Food just mix up enough for each feed. I make it a bit more watery than it says in the instructions.
Just give him 5mls to start with and administer the syring at the side of his mouth so as the food goes in across his mouth not straight down his throat (which he could aspirate if he is stressed). Then try getting him to take about 10mls every couple of hours.

I hope he has had some pain relief ?
He obviously has a sore bum and probably a sore mouth and a Bun in pain wont eat.
Have you got any Fibreplex ? This would be good to give him to get some fibre and probiotics into his GI tract

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1180

Did the Vet say that his tum felt empty? It might be a good idea for him to be on an anti GI ulcer med such as Ranitidine (AKA Zantac). A Rabbits stomach is very acidic and if it is empty, even for a short time, it can easily ulcerate and this too will cause pain. An added bonus with Ranitidine is that it has been found to have the side-effect of increasing the rate of gastric emptying.

The Bun will need good hydration too. If he is not drinking then some subcutaneous fluids would be a good idea. Perhaps you could ask the Vet about this ?

Good luck with the poor wee Bun

xx

Thanks again everyone.

He's been having Fibreplex every 8hrs and metoclopramide at the vets. I'm going to bring him indoors and set up his hutch in the kitchen so I can keep an eye on him better.

I'll phone the vet, as I think he's reached the stage he just cant cope with the pain and needs pain releif. He apparently eats ok, but he hasn't touched food since he's been here. :(

Thanks again everyone.

He's been having Fibreplex every 8hrs and metoclopramide at the vets. I'm going to bring him indoors and set up his hutch in the kitchen so I can keep an eye on him better.

I'll phone the vet, as I think he's reached the stage he just cant cope with the pain and needs pain releif. He apparently eats ok, but he hasn't touched food since he's been here. :(

Poor lad :cry:

I'd say pain relief is essential. You are doing a great job in making sure he stands the best chance of recovery :)

5ml taken, he seems to have perked up already! :) Vet says they will give pain relief, just have to take him down.

He REALLY loves cuddles! He was grinding his teeth lots yesterday, when I gave him his Fibreplex at 12.30am he snuggled into me, stopped grinding his teeth and rested his little face on my chest and gave a big sigh. He's been snuggled up in my arms in a lovely fleecy blanket for the last half hour. :love::love::love:

5ml taken, he seems to have perked up already! :) Vet says they will give pain relief, just have to take him down.

He REALLY loves cuddles! He was grinding his teeth lots yesterday, when I gave him his Fibreplex at 12.30am he snuggled into me, stopped grinding his teeth and rested his little face on my chest and gave a big sigh. He's been snuggled up in my arms in a lovely fleecy blanket for the last half hour. :love::love::love:

He knows you are helping him :love:

oh bless him.....wonder how long its been since he had cuddles....:(

It is horrid stuff makes me really angry as it blocks syringes I mixed it with baby food last time to get them to eat it themselves!

It is horrid stuff makes me really angry as it blocks syringes I mixed it with baby food last time to get them to eat it themselves!

Oooh! I might try that for him, apparently he loves apple (along with a daily serving of lettuce and carrot :roll: ). I've got some purred apple baby food.

Thanks Carys! :wave:

its good if hes taking it easily when linus had his major teeth problems he wouldnt take his recovery meds it was a struggle i had to syringe water too but he took that well with just he sitting in front of him, he liked his cuddles to i even slept on the kitchen floor with him and got woken up at 5 am with my eye being washed:lol:
for a bun his age hes doing really well and is a fighter even if he doesnt make it, he has learnt what love is, im not putting a downer im sending every possiable vibes for this bun as he deserves a chance, it so rewarding when you can help a bun comfortable and feel better especialy as hes showing it to you as well chokes you up

:cry::cry::cry::cry: thats so sad.. poor little man how dare she have caused him such pain

Back