• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit insurance

marleyandme

Mama Doe
I am thinking of insuring my bun Marley, have just done an online quote and it's £20.66 per month...which is 240 per year!

I am getting him bonded with another bun for certain (Bella the eBay bun from erin-buunyfriend) and am thinking of also bonding him with one of her babies (if my OH will let me! and if Erin isn't keeping them as they are soooo cute!, which would mean a bonded threesome. So the insurance would then be around 60 per month.

I know that there are lots of posts about insurance...but I just can't make up my mind, is it better to pay for insurance or should I save the amount each month instead and add to our savings? I am so confused, keep arguing for and against in my head!

Any thoughts? :)

That sounds crazy !!! I pay about £9 a month for each of my buns !! I'm with Petplan.

Incidentally If i had not been insured the last 3 months would have cost me about £700 :shock::shock::shock: Well worth it I would say !!

I don't have my Charlie insured (none of our animals ever have been) but if I had a large group of rabbits I would get them insured :D

If I had a pair I would have them insured, anymore and I personally think private savings are the better option. :)

Is there a reason his quote is so extortionatlely high?

Coincidentally, i see you're in London. My quote for petplan was also £20.66 which is ridiculous considering it's so cheap every where else. I wonder if this really is because we live in London, may give them a ring and find out. My quote was for my nethie dwarf who's 3 1/2 months old atm.

I have just insured three of my buns with petplan, £23 a month for the three of them :) Kind of thought why not and keep my vet bills savings for the one they would never insure :lol:

Not sure being in London would bump the price up that much!? :? Vet bills where I am are generally more expensive than most of the UK and its only working out about £7 each for my buns

Also I think with savings being better than insurance its going to totally depend on how much you are able to save :) Say putting away £20 a month into an account rather than paying insurance isn't going to cover a bill that goes into thousands unless you save for a really long time without having any vet bills x

Last edited:
my buns are not insured but when I signed up with my original vet they were all for insurance and did a plan for me anyway and it was around £6 per month for each bun. your quote seems very high!

I've just looked at mine and a quote for one bunny is £8.70, for two buns was £15.20, for three buns, £23.41. This is with petplan. The other insurer (helpucover) was same individual price but no multi-pet discount so worked out more expensive for my guys :)

Mine arn't insured yet but i may do it after looking at it all now....

Back