• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lola and Lucy???

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks.
Lucy is here, she is in the kitchen in the dog crate. Lola is in her cage in the front room and I am letting them out one at a time. They have access to each other ONLY via the bars.

They both seemed intrigued with each other and have been sniffing at each other through the bars. Lola is doing plenty of poo balls outside Lucys cage so i guess she is marking her territory.

If Lola is out she will go to Lucys cage to investigate and the same with Lucy and they will sniff sniff sniff each other and be nose to nose, but then all of a sudden lunge at each other. Lucy stands her ground with Lola so I guess she is just as feisty.

Its like swings and roundabouts - one minute they seem to be quite interested in each other, the next they are lunging at each other.

I am panicking now. They will be going to "neutral ground" to be bonded properly at Nats (thank you cos I dont think I could bear it) but does this sound about normal for two speyed females?

Sniff Sniff, mmmmmmm who are you?
100_0571.jpg

Grrrrrrrrrrrr lemme at her!
100_0570.jpg

Please Please put something inbetween the bunnies. If they are lunging at each other it will take just seconds for one to nip the others nose and do serious damage. It happened to me.

If I'm honest I think you will have a hard time bonding two females :(

I don't envy Nat that bond, their body language is very aggressive defensive in the second picture. I agree with Charlie about making sure they cannot reach each other, infact I wouldn't have them interacting at all until the main bond on neutral ground.

i know its not the same but i found, when i tried to bond my two pairs when i put their runs in snuffing distance, peanut bit dominos nose but they were fine together, i wouldnt say its good for them to be like this until they are on neutral ground!

x

I wouldn't worry about this behaviour, I had 3 bunnies , in my sig, tinks daisy and billy living together and i got poppy as a 4th. Through the bars tinks did exactly the same grunting lunging etc..but after all 4 had 24hours in the kitchen on neutral ground they were absolutley fine and are living together in harmony months later.

I found Tinks turned from a grunty lungy agro bunny in her territory, to a COMPLETE wimp on neutral gorund hahah
I'm sure Lola will be the same (hehe they are both highly strung little black and white bunnies!)

They will be fine! Dont worry about it! (difficult i know!)

Thanks folks - I really appreciate your advice. They were only like that so I could take some pictures - they are never ever left like that alone and it was only so I could take a picture and ask advice. I do supervise them and I wont let them near each other again. Lucy is only here so I can get to know her and she can get to know me - she is in the kitchen, Lola is in the front room and I am trying to split my time between them - god knows how you lovely people cope in rescues. etc and your advice will be taken on board. When I am cuddling one, I feel sorry for the other!

I know the bonding will be done in expert hands:thumb::bunny::thumb: - its just me who is a complete wimp and wanting things to go well when I know its going to be a bit of a bumpy journey.

Last edited:
My male and female are having to live side by side as we can no longer have her in our bedroom (she keeps us up ALL night). They have a large enough gap between the two cages so they definately cant bite through the bars and seem to be getting used to each other. When we let one of them out they chase each along the bars and Strawbs tries to bite at Gray.

Lucy is BONKERS!!!!!:love::love:

She is ripping around the front room - Lola is in the kitchen sulking cos she is not the centre of attention! :shock:

Lucy does the most massive repeated binkies as well! :lol::lol:

Andrea if things are that bad. Let Lucy run around the Kitchen and place Lola in the living room.

Keep them separate and get searching for a male ;)

Andrea if things are that bad. Let Lucy run around the Kitchen and place Lola in the living room.

Keep them separate and get searching for a male ;)

Do they sound bad? :( Cripes - arguing kids and arguing buns - wheres me Kalms :shock:

i would keep tryin them maybe they will calm down etc?? porobably just excitment of new areas and lola getting wary as she sees this as her home no??

Last edited:
and lolo getting wary as she sees this has her home no??

That is exactly the problem, it's not neutral and females are known for being more territorial than males. With a bond of the same gender you have to get it right first time and follow all the golden rules.

Can I ask for help then?

Do I keep them totally separate? Can I let Lucy into the front room if Lola is in her cage? Or should Lucy be kept in the kitchen and Lola in the front room until bonding takes place?

Can I ask for help then?

Do I keep them totally separate? Can I let Lucy into the front room if Lola is in her cage? Or should Lucy be kept in the kitchen and Lola in the front room until bonding takes place?

i would keep them seperate but i am by far an expert i have no idea what im on about lol just a personal opinion:lol:

They have been kept separate and will carry on been so - Lucy in the kitchen and Lola in the front room (Diva Lola)

Would it help to swap their Willow Sticks etc so they get used to each others scents or should I leave well alone???

It won't hurt to swap their toys and stuff around so they get used to know each other through smell. You are already helping by petting Lucy and getting her smell on you then petting Lola. I truly believe smell is really important in helping to bond buns. My Pheobe was a real diva during the bonding of our 4some - I hope it all works out for your girls.

Back