• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Growling and Biting?

Isis

Mama Doe
Wispa has recently started biting and growling, at first he didn't bite hard. Feels more like a playful nip more then anything. But just now after giving him a stroke he bit me quite hard and gave me a bruise and drew a little blood. Always seems after giving him a head rub, seems to enjoy it when I give him head rub, but then growls and nips me. But then he licks me and wants more head rubs. He's about 6 months now, not sure on his actual birthday, so know his soon due to be neutered. Is this all to do with hormones kicking in?

He's always running up to me, has even jumped on my lap while I have been at my laptop.

This could be hormones, but he could also be picking up on how you feel and reacting accordingly (which means you are not allowed to let yourself feel scared because that will make him worse). It also sounds like he wants to be dominant.

I would bring his neuter forward if I were you.

The problem with that is, I'm out or work at the moment. Don't know when I can get him into the vets.

What's the best way to deal with it when he does bite? I normally give him a firm no, and just walk away, kind of ignore him?

Buns

My buns does this too and always has. She hates being picked up and if I try to she growls at me and goes for me. Has never ever bitten me although has kicked a few times!! I usually just ignore her and walk away from her and then she comes over to the edge of her run and looks at me as if she is gutted I didnt stay! I think its a fear of being picked up, this is what the vet said anyway!!

I haven't even tried picking him up though, even when I do pick him up he is fine with me. Just seems to be after head rubs and sometimes when I groom him.

I'd wear gloves if he's hurting you so you are ever tempted to snatch your hand away. I ignore Calel now, but he shreds my clothes when he's on one.

I'd neuter ASAP as he could get into bad habits that don't go away when his hormones settle

Sounds like the testosterone has kicked in to me. That's an "Oi woman, who told you you could stop the head rub?" bite. :lol:

I'd get him neutered a.s.a.p. before the biting gets habitual. You'll just have to make time in your schedule - maybe arrange to go in work late one morning and drop him off on the way, pick him up on your way home. Or if you meantto type out of work rather than out or work, ask your local RSPCA branch if you're eligible for help towards the cost which will about halve the price.

as others have said try and bring forward the neuter something i have also noticed is that they know your fear as well and a sudden reaction to you moveing because you think or he is going to bite winds them up more, carrie is a growler and a biter but when shes not in her cage and her husbun and run orf for a run around shes as sweet as pie a littler nervous perhaps because she feel vunerable, shes fine outside i can pick her up for checks etc and give her nose rubs, ive now had to resort to actually climbing in the cage ( i have a nic set up so its easy for me) to grab the bowl for dinner as she will lunge at me but once im in she feels intimidated and just throws me an evil look

also another thing he may be wanting to grab you to mount hes testing you you flinch so he grabs you harder, biggles did a lot before his neuter though he never hurt me, as bucks grab the back of a doe's neck before mounting
he started spraying at all, maybe a cuddly toy to divert his attractions and work out his frustrations may help catch 22 as it boost his actions but i did this with bigg's and once he got himself sorted he was a sweet as pie :lol:

He's got a couple of toys, all he does with them is lick them.. He hasn't stated humping yet. I don't really flinch or move away when he does bite, but when he did bite me hard yesterday I did move away, think it was more shock then anything.

Today he hasn't bitten me once (fingers crossed) Every time I've laid on the floor he has ran up to me and started licking my face and then started eating my hair :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I was made redundant just before Christmas, so the only money I'm getting at the moment is benefits and that's not a lot. Does anyone know of what help I am entitled to?

Back