• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cage things???

Dani_x

Warren Scout
im getting an indoor rabbit. im confused with what im suppose to put in the cage like the floor as i have seen people with blankets and things

Our cage is only a base for Bella coz she is 24/7 free range, but in the bottom of her crate is newspaper, vetbed and a litter tray filled with newspaper and straw.

Vetbed is good because it stays dry and can go in the washing machine.

I personally use fleece with my inside buns but there are lots of different things you can use depending on what the cage will be for her (i.e. a permanent home, or a base) and how tidy you feel you need to be in your home lol.

Oggie has sawdust in his indoor cages atm
but he has a blanket aswell which he likes. Bought a new one on the weekend - its leapord print :love:

Chloe had woodshavings inside and has a blanket and toys eg. treat ball.
I plan on getting a cat bed or something instead of a blanket at its less mess.

Im stingy! I put newspaper in there as Lola rips up and chews any kind of material I put in there!

I would stay away from sawdust and wood shavings. They cause too much dust. You can get nice and cheap litter trays at Wilkinsons, they are like cat loo bottoms, you can buy them without the rim that goes on top for cats. I put a few pages of newspaper at the bottom, and then some straw, which lets the poo fall through to the bottom and stays dry on top. In one corner of the tray I put hay, as bunnies like to nibble hay while on the loo. I would not bother with a hay rack, as most rabbits I met preferred to eat hay in their litter box or from the ground after ripping it all out of the hay rack.

The rest of the cage floor you could cover with vetbed or some other fleece or cotton blanket that can be washed easily. Or you could get a nice seagrass or straw mat. I buy a lot of things here:

http://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/

You can see what they have and get some ideas. There are quite a few online shops with bunny stuff, you just need to look around a bit.

i put newspaper everywhere in the cage bottom and line my litter tray with newspaper and sawdust inbetween the paper with cat litter as it soaks the pee up and then hay on top of the paper for eating....

i put a little carpet square in as i cant put towel or fleece in as honey pees all over it!! but she likes to sit on carpet....:roll:

Thanks Bavarian Bunny I will look at that site now :D
i read that you shouldnt use newspaper coz of the ink :?

Back