• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guess who's feeling better! and a quandrary??

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Eddie came to us just before Christmas. He was originally taken in by starlights rescue with really bad eye problems. He was fostered by Alison who worked wonders with him and Eddie really started to improve. Unfortunately the journey to us caused Eddie's eyes to really deteriorate again, but in the last week we have turned a corner and they are now staying open most of the time :)

Here are some pictures of him last night, before I had even bathed his eyes

HPIM1490.jpg

HPIM1498.jpg

In this one he had just had his cream put in

HPIM1499.jpg

And having a nap after all his treatment

HPIM1501.jpg

Now this is the quandrary

Eddie has bonded himself to Elwood, but in an ideal world he needs to be with a bunny who will keep his eyes clean. Elwood being Elwood doesn't wash Eddie at all :?
Fidget has just been castrated and is a temporary cage on the lounge floor, waiting to be bonded with Dumpling. Eddie has now also fallen in love with Fidget and fidget reciprocates. Eddie sits by his cage waiting for Fidget to wash him through the bars. Last night Eddie pushed his eyes against the cage and Fidget was happily washing them.
So do I see if Fidget will bond with Eddie and Elwood? But then poor Dumpling has been waiting months for Fidget to be castrated and is lonely. Also Fidget is so tiny and when he is free range I like to supervise as we have 5 cats. If he is with Eddie and Elwood we cannot supervise all the time :? but with Dumpling he will be more secure with his set up.

This is the 2 of them last night

HPIM1503.jpg

HPIM1504.jpg

And Eddie this morning waiting patiently for some more loving

HPIM1505.jpg

If Eddie loves Fidget I would bond Fidget with Eddie and Elwood. Or another option perhaps bond Elwood with Dumpling and put Fidget and Eddie together and have two pairs.

If Eddie loves Fidget I would bond Fidget with Eddie and Elwood. Or another option perhaps bond Elwood with Dumpling and put Fidget and Eddie together and have two pairs.

Elwood with Dumpling isn't an option, her cage doesn't have enough head space for him, he is a biggish dwarf lop and she is a tiny Nethie like Fidget. If Fidget was a different sized rabbit I would definately give it a go, I'm just concerned for his safety as he would free range in the lounge a lot where all the cats are. He only weighs 0.9kg :?

Elwood with Dumpling isn't an option, her cage doesn't have enough head space for him, he is a biggish dwarf lop and she is a tiny Nethie like Fidget. If Fidget was a different sized rabbit I would definately give it a go, I'm just concerned for his safety as he would free range in the lounge a lot where all the cats are. He only weighs 0.9kg :?

I worry about stepping on my mini lop but don't have any cats so can understand your worry. I'd probably stick to the original plan.

Oh my :love::love: How tiny does fidget look next to eddie :lol:

Poor Dumpling... i hope you can decide what to do hun - id be confused too :lol: xXx

oh thats so sweet!....how on earth you get bunnies that just love each other like that I don't know!

My indoor ones end up scrapping if they get the smell of another bunny.:roll:

Not sure how to solve your dilemma I'm afaid.

oh thats so sweet!....how on earth you get bunnies that just love each other like that I don't know!

My indoor ones end up scrapping if they get the smell of another bunny.:roll:

Not sure how to solve your dilemma I'm afaid.

I have no idea, when Austin was there as well he joined in with all the loving too, its all very strange :lol::lol:

I just accidentally left a baby gate open and found Larry chatting nose to nose with Summer, wouldn't have expected that either :?

I guess I have so many now and they all change so often :( that they have given up on the idea of territory :lol:

I have no idea, when Austin was there as well he joined in with all the loving too, its all very strange :lol::lol:

I just accidentally left a baby gate open and found Larry chatting nose to nose with Summer, wouldn't have expected that either :?

I guess I have so many now and they all change so often :( that they have given up on the idea of territory :lol:

Maybe its because theyre older bunnies and theyre just more laid back!!:lol:

I have no suggestions but the pic of Eddie "waitin for some lurvin" made me laugh so much! Thank you!

Gosh his eyes really are looking better again aren't they :) His coat looks great too :D

Hmmm...as there seems to be lots of same sex group loving going on, is there anyone else that you have or are due to have, that Dumpling might bond with? Or could she potentially bonded in with them as well to make them a foursome? What a tricky dilemma for you, it's going to be a real balancing act of what's best. It does seem as if Fidget and Eddie want to be together though doesn't it :? Have Fidget and Elwood shown any signs of interaction, whether positive or negative (or ambivalent!)?

If it's any consolation, Santa is also 0.9kg and the cats are terrified of her :lol: I wouldn't go out and leave them together but I am happy to be wandering around the house while she is hopping about, they don't really seem to know what she is, and they soon get out of her way when she heads towards them!

maybe that is your answer?

people have managed to bond very large groups so maybe you are just a natural bonder, why not take a gamble? It would seem such a shame to split Fidget and Eddie up (hope I got the names right!).

Having said that I know jack-all about cats or the dangers involved - I would have thought they would be 'over' rabbits by now but guess not...

Emma

Gosh his eyes really are looking better again aren't they :) His coat looks great too :D

Hmmm...as there seems to be lots of same sex group loving going on, is there anyone else that you have or are due to have, that Dumpling might bond with? Or could she potentially bonded in with them as well to make them a foursome? What a tricky dilemma for you, it's going to be a real balancing act of what's best. It does seem as if Fidget and Eddie want to be together though doesn't it :? Have Fidget and Elwood shown any signs of interaction, whether positive or negative (or ambivalent!)?

If it's any consolation, Santa is also 0.9kg and the cats are terrified of her :lol: I wouldn't go out and leave them together but I am happy to be wandering around the house while she is hopping about, they don't really seem to know what she is, and they soon get out of her way when she heads towards them!

Its strange, because Eddie's eyes are looking so good but his nose now seems to be getting worse :? I realy hope that lump isn't anything too sinister. The vet is coming out to see him and a few others next week :)

Well as I had nothing better to do yesterday evening ;) I decided to get Eddie out while fidget was free ranging. I just sat on the floor with him, no neutral territory, nothing, as I like to do things professionally :lol::lol:
Anyway, Fidget came straight over and started washing Eddie's eyes straight away. The only problem was he was really going for it, to the point that Eddie was starting to jump because they are quite tender. I did let them loose together for 10 minutes and there was lots of humping from both sides but no aggression at all. Fidget was castrated less than a week ago :shock:.

Elwood would be no problem as he is in a world of his own, so if no-one bothers him he is quite happy.

My thinking at the moment is that Fidget would be too much for Eddie to handle. I just hope that Dumpling can handle him :lol: There is the other problem with the cats as well. It would be OK if Fidget moved normally but he doesn't do anything slower than 60 mile an hour and a couple of my cats find that a bit to irresistable.

I'm starting to think that may be a laid back licky girl would be the idea companion for Elly and Eddie. I feel that they need some one to act as a go between as although they potter about together and sometimes sleep together there is no licking at all.
So now all I need to do is find a small licky, laid back lady, possibly a bit snuffly or lacking teeth or some neurological problems and she will fit in just fine ;)

Back