• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth spikes

Julia123

Warren Veteran
What exactly happens when a bun has teeth spikes, I hear the terms, burring etc but would like to know exactly what happens and how often it has to be done etc.

Bungle has some spikes on his molar than need to be removed under sedation... I hate bunnies going under especially as he has been sp poorley - I will be waiting a couple of weeks before he goes in but really want to know the details

Thanksx

Burring is basically like a dremel tool which files down the teeth so the plateau is level again. Some vets prefer to crumble the spurs away with bone roungers.

The lenght of time between procedures depends entirely on the individual rabbit, the diet and the severity & cause of the maloclussion.

My bun gets spurs and has them burred every 4 week conscious - it is hard to find a vet who will do them consious. I must point out though he will not eat hay at all so this does not help his condition.

Hopefully your bun won't need them doing too often and try to encourage more hay eating as this helps to keep the molars down.

Rebecca (I think? PVC coventry????) does it conscious & I think there are some other ones around the west midlands that do....chloe would know. Bit farther away for you but probably cheaper even with petrol & of course no GA.....although giant bungle might present more of a problem.

Santa my foster bunny has a deformed jaw & will always have one molar that grows unchecked. He'll be going every 4 weeks or so to have it burred by concious by the fat fluffs vet.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=164629

read Jane's answer from the above thread on teeth, that should answer your question

===============

As to the spike removal, a bun can be put under a "deep sedation" to do part of the surgery then an "ULtra Short" GA, that way, the bun is under put under for a short time.

My bun Bernie does the above and it's great not to mention it's much cheaper, only $300

=================

Why is in the above photos, the bun's teeth is so yellow?

Back