• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone Know Where I Can Get A Mini Lop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there no rescues near by? They could have some young ones.
I don't know about anything in your area though sorry :)

I live in herefordshire, im after a mini lop, preferably from a breeder.
Can anyone help?

Thanks

Are you looking for Breeding Stock or for a Pet ?

If the former you'd be better to contact the British Rabbit Council who have details of Breeders. AFAIK this forum is not meant to by used for selling or obtaining Breeding stock :)

http://www.thebrc.org/index.htm

If you are looking for a Pet Bun then as has been mentioned you are sure to find one in a Rescue.

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/search_form.asp

Good Luck :)

Last edited:
Thanks. I would prefer one from a breeder to be honest. less risk of them being ill and that. Yeah wanted as a pet.

Several pairs of rescue buns available here:
http://www.bluecross.org.uk/web/site/Adoptions/4004521SootyHertfordshire.asp?species=Rabbit&sex=&breed=&colour=&location=&pg=5
http://www.bluecross.org.uk/web/site/Adoptions/4004611JudyHertfordshire.asp?species=Rabbit&sex=&breed=&colour=&location=&pg=6
http://www.bluecross.org.uk/web/site/Adoptions/4004651SmokeyHertfordshire.asp?species=Rabbit&sex=&breed=&colour=&location=&pg=8

Also a list of rescues in your county:
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp#Hertfordshire

I don't know where you would find out about breeders but breeders aren't necessarily a good thing. Some of them inbreed rabbits which can lead to illness :? Most rabbits in rescues are fully health checked and they would tell you about any illness

Thanks. I would prefer one from a breeder to be honest. less risk of them being ill and that.

That's not true at all unfortunately.

If you get from a VERY good breeder (& not just a BRC or backyard one), they may well know all about genetics & have kept a family line of buns to know that they won't develop problems later on. But most (not all:D) breeders conditions are not up to scratch, they over-breed, or breed indisciminantly (not knowing a substantial history of the bun they are breeding from) & sell bun when it is young & health problems have not yet been established.

Although you will meet all this in buns in Rescues, the Rescue is more likely to know the bun - an older bun has an established personality/has been neutered/spayed so already had a vet check, & they make no profit so are in no way tempted to "make a sale".

If you DO decide to go to a breeder - I'd "homecheck" THEM. A good one would be happy to show you their buns & premises. Then I'd want to know the history of bun I was getting (several generations) & see parents/certificates. And I'd want it rung. (Which I'd immediately remove!:lol:)

Thanks. I would prefer one from a breeder to be honest. less risk of them being ill and that. Yeah wanted as a pet.

I would say getting a rabbit from a rescue is less risk of being ill as allot of rescues will worm, neuter, vaccinate, get them seen over by a vet. Allot of breeders dont vaccinate any of their stock or even get them checked over by a vet so you dont know what your taking home.

would you pick a wife/husband based on her medical history incase your kids ended up with health problems? it's the same with bunnies i admit i got mine from breeders but i got them because i loved them not because they might not get sick. we're the same some people live to a rip old age and some people don't, it's life. good luck with getting your new bun though. it's an exciting time. :D

That's not true at all unfortunately.

If you get from a VERY good breeder (& not just a BRC or backyard one), they may well know all about genetics & have kept a family line of buns to know that they won't develop problems later on. But most (not all:D) breeders conditions are not up to scratch, they over-breed, or breed indisciminantly (not knowing a substantial history of the bun they are breeding from) & sell bun when it is young & health problems have not yet been established.

Although you will meet all this in buns in Rescues, the Rescue is more likely to know the bun - an older bun has an established personality/has been neutered/spayed so already had a vet check, & they make no profit so are in no way tempted to "make a sale".

If you DO decide to go to a breeder - I'd "homecheck" THEM. A good one would be happy to show you their buns & premises. Then I'd want to know the history of bun I was getting (several generations) & see parents/certificates. And I'd want it rung. (Which I'd immediately remove!:lol:)

I absolutely echo this.

There are many myths about rabbit keeping and your suggestion that you'd get one with no/less risk of health problems if you go to a breeder is a myth.

Whatever you decide to do, I would recommend doing lots of research and asking for good recommendations before you decide where your bunnies will come from.

Helen :D

But if you have one from a rescue they will have been health checked so you will know that they are medically OK plus they will most likely have already been neutered or spayed so you dont have to go through that trauma! BUT the best bit is they will also know a bit about their temperament ie if you desperately want a bunny who likes cuddles! My two were from a breeder :oops: both hate to be picked up! I would definately only get rabbits from a rescue now! Hey it doesn't cost anything to have a good look at some of the piccies and descriptions or even visit a rescue....you might fall in love with one when you see their little furry face looking at you, longing for a lovely home! If the rescue is a longway from you the guys on here are amazing and they do 'bunny runs' to help get bunnies to new homes!

Oh right. Shows how much i know then. Hmm, well i will have a look at some rescues then. what about pet shops?

Oh right. Shows how much i know then. Hmm, well i will have a look at some rescues then. what about pet shops?

You dont seem very interested in a rescue rabbit? Just wondered why? There are some gorgeous bunnies and the rescues will do all they can to help you find a bun and settle bun in your home and give you advice. Pet shops usually give rubbish advice.IMHO

lol sorry dani everyone is giving you a grilling just there are lots of people who work hard here rescuing bunnies. just take your time and have a good look around rescues and pet shops till you find the right one. just go with your instinct

I'd rather go to a good breeder than to a pet shop. My Cloud is a mini lop, he was sold in a pet shp when he was far too young to be removed from his mother. They gave the person who bought him a lot of wrong advice. Two weeks later the little girl (he was her birthday present) lost interest in him, and maybe he messed up their flat or something, but he ended up on the freeads.
Very few pet shops are really good and give you proper advice. And have animals that are not from backyard breeders or mass production.
If you want to be safe, go to a good rescue or a good breeder, both you can ask about here. You can never be 100% sure that the rabbit will be healthy for its whole life, but if you get one from a good place, then they will be checked and vaccinated etc..
If you tell us in what area you live, maybe we can recommend some rescues and breeders.
Edit: just saw that you are in Herefordshire, so maybe someone has ideas of where you could go to. Some rescues rehome to places all over the UK, as long as a homecheck and transport can be arranged. They will insist on proper accomodation, though, and usually expect bunnies to live in pairs.

Don't think that all rescue animals have some kind of problem. Some might be aggressive or have health problems, but most of them are in rescues because their owners did not have enough time for them, or had accidental litters, etc.. There are many very healthy and very friendly animals in rescues.

Last edited:

Most pet shops are 'stocked' by people who just sling a couple of rabbits in together in the hope that they will produce some babies which can be sold for a fast buck. Most pet shops get their bunnies from 'backyard breeders' who know nothing about proper rabbit care and just churn out 'stock'. They normally get about £5 each for them. Often they will have been interbred with brothers and sisters so you are really getting a totally unknown quantity if you go down this road. The pet shops are there to make a profit so don't ask questions. They will probably never have seen where the rabbits have come from.

This may not be the case with every pet shop I hasten to add - just the majority!

For me, getting bunnies from a pet shop is the worst case scenario.

Other issues about buying from a shop - the staff very often haven't a clue (again not always) and will often give bad or incorrect advice and OFTEN missex the rabbits.

I dont really know anything about rescues, never been to one so not really sure about it. sorry for my ignorance to it, but i just think of rescues as old unwanted animals. i will definetly have a look if i can find one near though.

thanks again for all the advice.

Steer well clear of pet shops as rarely will a decent breeder sell their animals to one. Good breeders often have waiting lists and can sell their babies without a middleman. The ones you see in pet shops often come from suppliers who have bought them at auctions and sell them on from there just like puppy farmed dogs - you're asking for health and temperament problems.

Believe it or not, most of the bunnies you will see on here were rescues. Often people get a cute baby bunny for the kids from a pet shop or a breeder and it ends up in rescue several months later for no more reason than the kids who begged for it have looked at it twice and the parents are sick of cleaning it out. They are very often like my Dulcie is - young, healthy, friendly, pretty, purebred and as a bonus neutered, wormed, vaccinated and health checked. She was only about 7 months old. Also bear in mind that even a 2 or 3 year old rabbit is a youngster as properly cared for the average lifespan is 10 years like a cat or a dog.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back