• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding combinations and compatibilities

Just a curiousity question, I know that the most common (successful) bonding combination seems to be a neutered boy with a neutered girl

but what other combinations work well ?

I think 2 neutered boys, or 2 neutered girls work well too don't they ? All the hormones are eliminated and uterine cancer is not a problem

what about a neutered girl with an un-neutered boy ?

I am assuming an un-neutered girl with a neutered boy is asking for trouble with hormones when she beats him up all the time ?

2 un-neutered girls, does this ever work ?

2 un-neutered boys, do they always fight ?

what about a neutered girl with an un-neutered girl ?

what about a neutered boy with an un-neutered boy ? will the un-neutered boy still want to play piggy back with his companion ? :roll::roll:

i think anythign can work it is more down to the temperment of the rabbits in question than their sex to be truthful tho its true to say often a male female is easiest to bond... i have had paired girsl unspayed when was younger who never fought adn since realiseing about health implications as grew older spayed female combinations n now recently in past few years have learnt this is not the norm!!!! lol and male/female is best.. hence i now have a male female combi!!! x

I have found the following to work well

Neutered boy and girl
Neutered girl and girl
Neutered boy and boy
Neutered Boy and 2 girls
Un-neurered girls x 3 and 1 neutered boy
Groups generally i have found work better with more girls than boys :D

I have found the following to work well
Un-neurered girls x 3 and 1 neutered boy
Groups generally i have found work better with more girls than boys :D

does that mean, despite being neutered, the boys still tend to be aggressive to each other ?

do combos of more than 2 work as well as just a couple ?

I remember donna from arc saying that although on the face of it they don't fight, there is still some bullying taking place

does that mean, despite being neutered, the boys still tend to be aggressive to each other ?

do combos of more than 2 work as well as just a couple ?

I remember donna from arc saying that although on the face of it they don't fight, there is still some bullying taking place

I have found in groups where you have more than one female and more than one male, even if neutered the males do tend to bully more than not. Some males wont be and then it comes down to the individual buns personality

ETA: wild rabits i beleive have a matriarchal society and therefore tend to live in groups of females with few males

I have 2 neutered females and 2 neutered males all living together

I also have 1 neutered female living with a male who is not neutered

The rspca near me pair up their rabbits who are a neutered male but un-neutered female.

I would say any male who isn't neutered would probably fight with another male but not 100% sure. 2 un-neutered females can live together as long as they have been together when they were young like 2 sisters or mum and daughter.

really, even if they are not neutered?? May have to try this.

Really, most of the groups i have bonded have been unrelated un-speyed females.

I have just bonded Plum in with molly and Reuben and neither Plum or molly are speyed. Plum is 5 and Molly is 7/8

I'm so glad I read this... I have 2 neuterred boys that I'm bonding and was getting discouraged after their first little fight... I posted a pic of my thumb which ended up getting chomped! (I know, I know, I should have used a towel or oven mit to separate them and not reached in!)

If anyone has some advice, this is my first attempt at bonding so I'd love any helpful hints. Especially for bonding 2 boys!

I posted "bonding two boys" with the details and "not so happy" a few minutes later when my hand became a snack!

I'm so glad I read this... I have 2 neuterred boys that I'm bonding and was getting discouraged after their first little fight... I posted a pic of my thumb which ended up getting chomped! (I know, I know, I should have used a towel or oven mit to separate them and not reached in!)

If anyone has some advice, this is my first attempt at bonding so I'd love any helpful hints. Especially for bonding 2 boys!

I posted "bonding two boys" with the details and "not so happy" a few minutes later when my hand became a snack!

I was surprised too, at how ferocious two fighting bunnies can be

I got bitten on the hand recently where there is now a 1cm scar

Mine are normally so docile, until they see each other through the fence/wire

I was quite lucky, my 2 pairs bonded themselves, but the pairs hate each other with a vengence, well the 2 boys hate each other and the 2 girls hate each other...but each boy is happy to play with either girl

I was so naive when I first got the 2 boys who are brothers, I was worried about introducing them to my fifi. I didn't need to worry, the next morning when I woke up and looked out of the window, fifi has broken into the boys pen, what a tart :lol:

My personal experience is that keeping two girls together is harder than two boys.

Two girls I had many years ago (unneutered, the vet at the time didnt want to do girls) who were sisters, never seperated, showed bouts of agression towards each other and were eventually seperated

I now have two neutered girls in a group with two boys. The boys are fine, but one of the girls really nips and chases the other one

Just to throw a spanner in the works!! ;)

I do agree that it really depends in the rabbits' personalities!

My group (9 buns) are mixed, all neutered/spayed & all unrelated except for a pair of sisters, & a father & daughter.

It was 13 buns, but I lost 2 females (both "high up" in the heirarchy) & one of the males decided to be Top Bun & started bullying 2 of the other boys, I removed those two boys & got them female partners & my 9 is all good (well 2 are separate cos one was ill, but will be re-bonded in spring)

I might consider adding another female to the group - but I think a male would cause a problem with Flint Boss Man.

Back