• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Correct term for rabbits Neutering

Do Rescues confuse you with the word Neutered

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kayj

Wise Old Thumper
I received an email today off someone who said that I am using the wrong term in my 'Rabbits for Adoption' section on my website.

I noticed that on your rabbit website their was a term that was miss use allot when discussing your rabbits. When you adverting your rabbits you would say that you had a female that was neutered. This I found came up several times. This can cause allot of confusion with buyer on the sex of the rabbit because the term 'neutered' refurse to fixing a male. If the animal is female the term is to spay. It is sometime common to make this error but for a rabbit inthusist it could turn some one off from getting a rabbit if terms are missed used.

I want to know if it you think it confuses people even though the sex of the rabbit is in the description

nope think to say neutered is fine provided the sex is already in the title. but its a bit picky. spay /castration then is actually the correct terms for male/female neuters neuter is actually refering to both sexes technically!!!

Nope, neutered to me means that the rabbits has no bits left with which to reproduce! If you ask a vet then yes neutered is for male Speyed is for female, but it doesn't cause any confusion for me and thats saying something

To me it means the animal has been reproductively desexed, and is therefore neutral in those terms :D

I agree with bunlover - neutering actually means to remove the reproductive organs of either sex NOT (as the person who emailed you stated) just fixing a male. It's spaying for females, castration for males.

As long as you state the sex, you are correct.

Mind you, I usually refer to spaying (F) and neutering (M) because I just don't like the word castration, don't know why. :oops:

If it were me they'd be getting an equally snotty reply, correcting all their errors in spelling and letting them know the real definition of 'neuter' :lol: I mean 'missed used'?! :lol:

Neutering simply refers to un-gender specific sterilisation whilst speyed refers to the female and castrated to the male.

neuter Definition
neu·ter

adjective

Archaic taking neither side; neutral
Biol.
having no sexual organ; asexual
having undeveloped or imperfect sexual organs in the adult, as the worker bee
Gram.
designating, of, or belonging to a third gender, existing in many highly inflected languages, consisting of words that have neither masculine nor feminine grammatical gender
neither active nor passive; intransitive: said of verbs
Etymology: ME neutre < MFr or L: MFr neutre < L neuter, neither < ne-, not (see no) + uter, either
noun

a castrated or spayed animal
Archaic a neutral person or group
Biol. a plant or animal lacking, or having undeveloped, sexual organs
Gram.
the neuter gender
a word or form in this gender
an intransitive verb
transitive verb

to castrate or spay (an animal)

What an idiot - neuter means to remove the reproductive organs of an animal.

Spay (or ovariohysterectomy!) means the removal of female reproductive organs

Castration means removal of the testicles (male reproductive organs)

So as long as you say FEMALE neutered or MALE neutered you are correct.

Incidentally did you copy and paste the email because there are lots of spelling mistakes! x

If it were me they'd be getting an equally snotty reply, correcting all their errors in spelling and letting them know the real definition of 'neuter' :lol: I mean 'missed used'?! :lol:

they did and I told them I would inform the rabbit rescues around the country that we are all confusing people:lol::lol:

Incidentally did you copy and paste the email because there are lots of spelling mistakes! x

If that email has been written by someone who speaks English as a first language then they need to be *neutered before they pass on their genes to some other poor soul! :lol:

*neutered being the correct term as I am unaware of the authors gender. ;)

Nope, neutered to me means that the rabbits has no bits left with which to reproduce! If you ask a vet then yes neutered is for male Speyed is for female, but it doesn't cause any confusion for me and thats saying something

In fact, "neuter" means desex either sex... it is castrate for male and spay for female.

Vera

I have and have also kept it on file. I really hope she replies as I will send hers back highlighting the spelling mistakes:roll:

(just checks I haven't made any;):lol:)

I think I used the word "spayed" for male bunnies a few times, before I learnt the real meaning of the word. Now I just use neutered for both male and female, as it makes the most sense.
I think the main confusion is about how to spell the words. I have seen "speyed" many times, and also "neutured", but I think people will always know what they mean.

????? :?:?:?

neuter is neutral...as the name suggests :D:D

was her e-mail address .co.uk because she doesn't sound like she comes from the UK. Fixing is a term that is used more by Americans, might also explain the unusual spelling.

Back