• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

am gutted :o(

happypreso

Alpha Buck
looking for some wise words or advise please.

As you may or may not know, my bun had an accidental litter of 4 on Christmas Day. 2 of these buns didn't open one of their eyes. I tried to get them to open, with no luck and went to the vet, who has been fab! We have had antibotics, eye drops etc etc and went back to the vets for a check up today. Both eyes are looking better, been open (every time I have checked) since Friday night and I went in with high hopes today.

But, one bun is okay, got to carry on with the drops etc but although he/she wont have much slight in her eye the future looks good. The other bun, their future is uncertain .... she has an ulcer in thier eye and the eye lid hasn't formed right, their is like an extra bit at the top instead of the bottom (i know that dont make much sense). Anyway, she was talking about operating *but* as the bun is so young there is a very high chance they wont make it. I have to carry on with the eye drops etc that I have at the mo and am due to go back next wednesday to discuss the options .....

I know I am possibly jumping the gun a bit, but I am sat here with tears streaming down my face thinking the worst.

Has anyone got any experience on young buns having an op? she is only 3 wks old. or does anyone know what are the options if the drops dont work?

edit: the vet didn't give any clues that there was other options (just the op).

i woudl sugest that even a blind rabbit can lead a really happy indoor life style tho they will be special needs if its just one eye affected then i would be even more inclined to wait until a bit older to operate as there wil be a higer chance of success. a lot of teh time with ulcers in the eye i think...sorry if im incorrect but if not treatable then eye removal is best as it saves the rabbit a lot of pain? xx

I would probably say that as it isn't life threatening that i would wait until she is a little bit older, if she can be kept comfortable and pain free :)

On the positive side, one of my bunnies survived a leg amputation at the age of 5 weeks :)

Eta if you would like a second opinion, I wouldn't mind taking her to my vet for you

i woudl sugest that even a blind rabbit can lead a really happy indoor life style tho they will be special needs if its just one eye affected then i would be even more inclined to wait until a bit older to operate as there wil be a higer chance of success. a lot of teh time with ulcers in the eye i think...sorry if im incorrect but if not treatable then eye removal is best as it saves the rabbit a lot of pain? xx

Hi, the op wasn't to remove the eye/ulcer ... it is something to do with the eye lid not forming properly. There is an 'extra' bit towards the top part of the eye (like a bump) and the slit bit down the bottom hasn't formed/opened right. I think it is the extra bump at the top of the lid that is the main problem and the ulcer is just an 'extra' problem on top. The buns seems fairly happy in itself other than this but I think the eye is causing them pain you can tell when you put the drops in (not like the other bun that happily let you drop them in). I will see if I can get a photo, to explain it better!

I would probably say that as it isn't life threatening that i would wait until she is a little bit older, if she can be kept comfortable and pain free :)

On the positive side, one of my bunnies survived a leg amputation at the age of 5 weeks :)

oh wow, really, thank you! that is just the kind of story I needed to hear :) (i know that doesn't mean Angel will be okay but it all helps x x thank you!)

Back