• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

why do bunnies binky?

huppie

Mama Doe
Ok, so bunnies binky when they are happy but what makes them happy? Why do they suddenly for no apparent reason start going mad? I understand binkying when food is on its way or a new toy or when they have new fleeces :)love:). What I so don't get is those moments when they are asleep one minute and suddenly running around and jumping and turning and being generally potty the next. :lol: It is an awesome thing to see I just don't get it.

Why does it happen like it does as well? Why so frantic and fast and high? It seems a very strange way to express delight.

Any ideas? I'm just curious...long may bunnies binky :D

Emma

it jsut means they are really content and happy.... bit like a child will just suddenly run around its jsut how they are showing they are happy :) x

I don't know but I think it's like how we might have a nice relaxing stretch when we're happy, to feel our bodies in all that space! Or like doing cartwheels on a sunny day just because you can (not that I can - lol!)

I think they are just practising escaping from predators where they have to suddenly run away :)

i think that is the actual reason but I think like (some) humans think about running or other sports it shows the group what a fine specimin you are because you can run & jump & in rosies case to a 180 degree turn mid air.....I think it becomes fun for them too.....hares do is a courting ritual I think, maybe bunnies too?

Predators and courting rituals sound reasonable...I guess I am just too much of a boring brainiac - I alwasy want to know things :roll:

Emma

I don't know about rabbits but gazelles and similar jump around to advertise their fitness, as predators usually go for the weakest animals.

I'd love to know the reason for sure...
my bunny binkys weirdly sometimes :lol:
When he's laid on my bed all sleepy he sometimes half flicks up into a binky and then goes back to sleep :lol:

Its seen in a lot of animals, mostly hoofed. Foals are a good example. I believe it is a form of locomotor play predominantly exhibited by juveniles. All play in young animals is practice for adult situations (social interaction, play fighting, object manipulation etc...). Locomotor play is pretty much practice for anti-predatory behaviour, the young animal learns what its body can do and where everything is, how fast they can move/accelerate etc... A possible reason for rabbits continuing this behaviour is probably the same as why dogs continue to play with balls/each other/ tug-of-war into aldulthood, that a lack of selection pressure has allowed them more opportunity to play. Being domestic they have no foraging/predatory/anti-predatory/reproductive (in most cases) pressure and so have more time and possibly express this type of behaviour to avoid boredom/frustration of domesticity.

You can pretty much relate this theory to humans aswell, if we didn't have jobs/husbands/wives/kids/bunnies/money etc to worry about we'd probably enjoy playing all day too!

Just wanted to point out this stuff isn't set in stone, i just thought it was an interesting theory i learnt studying behaviour.

Last edited:
Back