• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny eye! Help

Lemonroe

Warren Scout
Ahh! Ive noticed for a while now dwights eye has been running a bit..I didnt think anything of it until I came across the rabbit eye section of this forum! Now I feel horrible that I have let it go for so long!

I think it has something to do with his litter. I switched his litter a while back to litter made of corn cob and I have noticed it kicks up dust when I pour it. I put it in his litter tray and at the bottom of his cage (his litter is below him, so he doesn't touch it but can still be effected by it)

Since my boyfriend has the day off today, I e-mailed him and told him to take a look at it, and wash it. He called me and said it doesnt look red or infected. I'm going to buy him new little today after work...does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?! Should I bother waiting to see if its the litter, to take him to the vet?

Last edited:
We use carefresh for Bean and then put straw on the top of it. It was blummin expensive - like £13 a bag but it turned out that Bean was allergic to sawdust and kept getting runny eyes too!

It could well be sawdust related.
Has he been to the vets?
Runny eyes is mostly related to dental problems, compressing on the tear ducts.
Has he any problem eating?

It could well be sawdust related.
Has he been to the vets?
Runny eyes is mostly related to dental problems, compressing on the tear ducts.
Has he any problem eating?

No, hes been eating fine...Hoping its just the litter!

Thanks everyone!

those wood shaving dust, can cause respiratory problem for the bun and the human who's in contact w/ the shaving and breathe it. Get rid of it. Just use a towel, as she done her peeing, replace the towel w/ another 1

My bun fudge got 2 watery eyes due to woodshavings/sawdust so i changed to carefresh and have had no bother (now using megazorb MUCH cheaper)

But my 2 youngest males hav had watery eyes since they were 2 months old and had drops and flushes but nothing worked, they will soon be living 2gether so will hopefully keep each others clean! :D

firstly when you get home later bathe the eye gently with cooled boiled water and a cotten woll or make up pad. be gentle.
2ndly: this can be caused by many things. i would initially change the litter to carefresh newspaper/hay combination or towels which can be washed as many buns are allergic to dusty litters(ensure the hay is dust free too)

i would also pop along to the vet and get the vet to do the following initially,
check eye including the back of eye using and instrument, checking for swelling of blood vessels etc,
dont do a tear duct flush until other things are illiminated as this can in some cases cause more harm than good
check teeth including back ones for spurs this can casue weeping eyes... aslo if all things are ruled out at teh end and eye is still weeping then get a tooth root x ray as this can sometimes also be the casue and will only show on a xray.
if conjunctivitus or an infection you wil lneed fucilthalmic eye drops or tiacil to clear it
if its caused by teeth you may need a dental.
also check bun over for lumps and bumps adn swollen genitals an eyee weeping can sometimes be the first sign of myxi.
best of luck dont feel bad we are all learnign on here! :) x

Back