• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I am freaking out about vaccinations

Please can someone help calm me down. I am having a little freaky moment. Just took our little Bean to the vets as we thought he needed his Myxomatosis jab but apparently he had that back in November according to vets notes. I swear he had the VHD back in November but the vet says no he had his Myxi. So they gave him VHD today!!!!! No i am having a whole panic and freak out that they have given him the wrong one! very upset about the whole thing. I do trust the vets but I swear they said he had the VHD last time I took him in!

do you have a vaccination card? It should say on the sticker what he had last time. If there has been a mix up it shouldn't matter too much have two of the same vaccine so close together. If you are sure he had VHD in november, book him in for a mixi in late feb/early march & that should give him good coverage over the summer months.

We don't have a card. We just have a booklet with all the receipts in for vaccinations. However, unfortunately we dont have the receipt from the last vaccination!!!! GRRRRRR....the vet assured me that it said on the system that he had his myxi injection last time and needed VHD this time. I read the notes on the system too and it did indeed say that. However, I felt sure he needed myxi!!! So this mean if I am right he has had two VHD injections in the past three months!!!!!EEEEEEK will this hurt him or harm him. He is so precious to us I am really freaking out.

In my experience, most vet's seem to give the Myxi vaccine on the first visit and the VHD on the second unless otherwise requested by the owner....so it's quite likely he did have his Myxi vaccine last time you went.

Had it been 2 in three weeks then I'd be a bit more worried but 2 VHD in three months shouldn't be a problem although it is a good idea to keep an eye on him & if he does seem very quiet, stops eating etc then he should go to the vets. However three months should be enough time for his immune system to cope.

In my experience, most vet's seem to give the Myxi vaccine on the first visit and the VHD on the second unless otherwise requested by the owner....so it's quite likely he did have his Myxi vaccine last time you went.

yes that is true as mixi is more common than VHD.

the last myxo I have receipts for is the 2nd May and the last VHD is the 19th May. Then now I have a receipt from today which is VHD. Dated 19th Jan.

See they gave him Myxo first last time and then VHD second so hopefully they have done the same today.

The vet today showed me on the system that it said he had Myxo the last time he came in and he even showed me the serial number of the vaccination.

Maybe I am just being a really silly freaky parent. He is like our child!!!! Just want to make sure he is ok.

Also, he is now refusing Banana now which is his FAVOURITE. but to be honest the vet did also trim his teeth, cut a few knots out his fur on his tummy and also trim his claws so he has been through a lot.

He is currently bunny flopped under the dining room table!!!

VHD should only be given once a year so if he had the last one in May he shouldn't really have had this one until May. It shouldn't do him any harm, after all every bun that comes into a rescue as a stray may well have had their vaccinations, but rescues will still revaccinate.

It definitely sounds as if it was myxi in November though as that is every 6 months - so May-November is about right.

So your next vaccine should be the next myxi booster in May, but your bunny won't need another VHD until this time next year (Jan 2010).

He'll be fine.....he's probably a bit freaked out but all the other stuff at the vets & also picking up on your concern. If he's bouncing around & eating brocolli I don't think you have anything to worry about, if buns react seriously to VHD, which thankfully is rare, they react very seriously to it. You'd know there was something was very wrong.

Oh poor you - it's horrid when you doubt something in your head.
It sounds like he did have his myxi last time going by the dates and having a batch number. Even if not he will be OK.
As you are close to us I suggest you go to the ARC vet in Twickenham (where I work, but that's not why we recommend it for bunnies!).
Twickenham Veterinary Surgery
58 Hampton Rd
TW2 5QB
0208 898 0528 x

Back