• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Reusing a rabbit hutch

Dustyrabbit

Warren Veteran
Hi, I have a rabbit hutch that was used by our old bunny who somethimes had the snuffles. Of course I wouldn't use it for another bunny but does anyone know if it would be safe for Guinea Pigs? If so I will offer on freecycle or perhaps a rescue might want it.

Do you know anyone with a pressure washer? You should be able to sterilize the hutch if you spray it with a good soaking of disinfectant and then you rinse it with a pressure washer and it will get into all of the nooks and crannies. It often takes the wood stain off but a quick lick of stain/paint it would look as good as new.

I did this with one of my hutches before I gave it to someone else.

Thanks for the pressure washer advice, we have one so could do that.

I'll give it a measure tomorrow and let you know the size. It used to be used attached to a large run and to be honest he hardly went in the hutch, its not been wee'd in or anything he was a clean boy and had his tray in the run. Its been empty for over 2 years - would anything still be alive in it?

It's doubtful after that length of time but better to be safe than sorry! I'd also swish it round with boiling water - disinfectants don't kill off some spore forming organisms like coccidia and e.c. so as well as disinfectant I'd (carefully!) swish it round with a couple of full kettles of water :)

2nd hand hutch

Hi everyone we recently got a second hand hutch, its in good condition but has obviously been used, we bought our mini lop rabbit a few days later, he was 12 weeks old, I cleaned the hutch out and used spray disenfectant (pet safe) we have only had the rabbit about 2 weeks he has had the runs a couple of times but was told it could have been the food treats we gave him, so stopped (he didnt have lots maybe 3 or 4 little crunchy rings) anyhow he stopped the runs after stopping but now iam wondering if the hutch could have caused any probs, this is our first rabbit so still learning, am I worrying for nothing or should I get a new hutch? any help would be great regars jess
PS great forum

I use bleach or Jeyes fluid on 'suspect' hutches. Just make sure you rinse them well afterwards and leave to dry in a well ventilated spot :)

Hi everyone we recently got a second hand hutch, its in good condition but has obviously been used, we bought our mini lop rabbit a few days later, he was 12 weeks old, I cleaned the hutch out and used spray disenfectant (pet safe) we have only had the rabbit about 2 weeks he has had the runs a couple of times but was told it could have been the food treats we gave him, so stopped (he didnt have lots maybe 3 or 4 little crunchy rings) anyhow he stopped the runs after stopping but now iam wondering if the hutch could have caused any probs, this is our first rabbit so still learning, am I worrying for nothing or should I get a new hutch? any help would be great regars jess
PS great forum

Have PM-ed you as you're a first time bunny owner :)

Reusing a rabbit hutch (size added)

Hi there and thanks to everyone for their cleaning ideas! I've been out to measure the hutch today its 23" deep (internal measurement) but only 44" long, as I said before we took the wire door off (still got that) and he had it open plan to a large run. It does need some attention to the roof, its been empty but covered up in the garden for 2 years now but I think the inside and the rest of it is good. If anyone knows of anyone near me who could use it, perhaps for Guinea Pigs, please let me know. I am happy to jet wash it etc.

Hi there and thanks to everyone for their cleaning ideas! I've been out to measure the hutch today its 23" deep (internal measurement) but only 44" long, as I said before we took the wire door off (still got that) and he had it open plan to a large run. It does need some attention to the roof, its been empty but covered up in the garden for 2 years now but I think the inside and the rest of it is good. If anyone knows of anyone near me who could use it, perhaps for Guinea Pigs, please let me know. I am happy to jet wash it etc.

then i would sell it only for g.pigs.. as for bunnys its a bit small sorry. rspca recommends a 4ft hutch for g.pigs and a 6ftx2x2ft hutch for 2 buns: use jeyes fluid to thouroughly clean it and wash it out also use bleach too and thorughly wash and ventalate as it is highly toxic to buns,gpigs and cats so will need hundred percent clean x

Back