• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to tell the difference a dwarf lop and a french lop?

Kellyrich

Warren Scout
Hi

Sorry to sound stupid but i already have a dwarf lop, Barney, who is of medium size. We have just got a new rabbit, Dexie, who we were told by her owners is also a dwarf lop. I was a bit concerned as she is soooo big and fat and made me wonder whether she was a french lop! When i stroke Barney's nose i can get 2 or 3 fingers there but with Dexie i can just about get my whole hand there! She really is quite big! Maybe she is just too fat but i just wondered!

Thanks

hi,

You could post a picture and we might be able to tell.

My French Lop is very square faced but some have a more pointed face. His
weight is about 6KG.

How old is your bunny? Is it fully grown etc.

Maureen

There's always the possibility that Dexie is a cross between a dwarf and a french, many bunnies aren't pure breeds of any kind :) There are also minilops, smaller than dwarf lops! A pure dwarf lop is supposed to weigh in the region of 2.5kg (Heather in my sig is a dwarf lop), Harry weighs around 3.5kg so he is either a very big dwarf lop or he is just a mixed breed :) If you are able to post some pictures that would help a great deal :)

Also some dwarf lops will have the dwarfing gene and others won't, which will mean some could be drawf lops but much larger than those with a dwarfing gene.

So confused!!

Thanks for your replies.

I still cant decide, i will get some pictures and post them, although im not sure how to do it! :oops:

Sants she looks like one of your rabbits, the multi coloured one on the right hand side of your picture but she is black and white, she is bigger than a cat, twice the size of Barney, the dwarf lop and has a lot bigger flatter head/nose!
She is 18 months apparently.

Hi

Sorry to sound stupid but i already have a dwarf lop, Barney, who is of medium size. We have just got a new rabbit, Dexie, who we were told by her owners is also a dwarf lop. I was a bit concerned as she is soooo big and fat and made me wonder whether she was a french lop! When i stroke Barney's nose i can get 2 or 3 fingers there but with Dexie i can just about get my whole hand there! She really is quite big! Maybe she is just too fat but i just wondered!

Thanks

hi it sounds like you've got a giant french lop as thats what ive got...when i brought her off the breeder she said they dont stop growing untill they are 2 years old and can be the size of a jack russell dog!!!...mine is 9months now and huge and weighs a bit...shes bigger than my male thats a week younger than her...post some pics and ill let you know if your rabbit is or not...:)

Hi
In the nicest way i would like to say there is no such thing as a giant French Lop, a French Lop is a giant breed being over 10lbs in weight, there are plenty of people out there who advertise them as giant french lops but it is just becuase they don't really know what they are on about. I have seen people say they have dwarf french lops, french lops and giant french lops and it really bugs me.
Dwarf Lop around 5lbs in weight, French Lop over 10 lbs in weight.
Thanks for listening :lol:
End of rant!
J

Hi
In the nicest way i would like to say there is no such thing as a giant French Lop, a French Lop is a giant breed being over 10lbs in weight, there are plenty of people out there who advertise them as giant french lops but it is just becuase they don't really know what they are on about. I have seen people say they have dwarf french lops, french lops and giant french lops and it really bugs me.
Dwarf Lop around 5lbs in weight, French Lop over 10 lbs in weight.
Thanks for listening :lol:
End of rant!
J

whateva...at the end of the day i was listening to a breeder, and why is it on this forum everyone really thinks that whateva they say is right, and when told otherwise they dont like it?...typical!!!....everyone has there own views...and who says that your right anyway???:lol:

Just re-read what you have put...you say 1 thing that there is no such thing as a giant french lop...then another saying...'a french lop is a GIANT breed being over 10lbs!!!'...:lol:...contradicting yourself there!!!...so Yes there is such thing as a GIANT FRENCH LOP!!!!...what the hell does it matter what way round you put it, but people do need to know that these rabbits do grow large i.e GIANT.

Last edited:
Go to the BRC website and you will see it is just called a French Lop. Calling it a giant french lop would be like calling a Great Dane a Giant Great Dane.
(BTW i do know what i'm talking about seeing as i exhibit French Lops)

Go to the BRC website and you will see it is just called a French Lop. Calling it a giant french lop would be like calling a Great Dane a Giant Great Dane.
(BTW i do know what i'm talking about seeing as i exhibit French Lops)

yeah:roll:...if you say so...:lol:

Thanks Capel, i will admit i get bugged by the terminoligy people use (its amazing what you see on some sites!) The more people use it the more it gets used and it escalates.
It gets back to the same thing that it only needs one person to be misinformed and they pass on that info because they think its correct, and so it goes on!
Here is a pic of a French Lop of show type, Hagrid weighed in at around 13lbs in weight
Hagrid1.jpg

Here is a Dwarf Lop again of show type (this is a youngster of around 6 months so still has a bit of maturing to do) he will weigh around 5lbs give or take a bit when he is mature.
Barty.jpg

Hope that helps.
Jessy

French lops are just french lops but my Will weighed 15lbs so i call her my massive[or giant]frenchie and B weighs only 12lbs so i call her my diddy french lop :lol:French lops usually have much longer tails than dwarf lops and longer ears.

breeders use the term "giant french lop" to rake in more cash sadly.French lop is a french lop there is no giant version.a pedigree frenchie can get to the size of a meduim sized dogs body.

Back