• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cats and rabbits

Scooner

Young Bun
Does anyone have any advice on cats and rabbits. I have two house buns who get on very well with each other but I have wanted a cat ever since i was a little girl but i wouldn't like to bring on into the house if it was going to hurt them! Or the other way around for that matter! Oscar is a giant breed so he might hurt the cat actually!

I would like to get a rescue cat, but would it be better to get from a kitten so they all learn to love each other?

Any advice would be great! Thanks x

My cats were both adults when we got rabbits. Both rabbits were babies when we got them and the cats just mostly ignore them. One rabbit is a freerange house rabbit.

The most they have ever bothered with the rabbits is when the rabbits keep running in circles round them and they sometimes give them a quick swat with a paw. Doesn't bother the rabbits though!

I have seen another thread a while ago the title is:
How do rabbits get on with cats?

Sorry I don't know how to post a link to it, but just put it in search and it will come up.

I have 4 rescue cats.
2 are fine with the bunnies
1 is scared of the bunnies
1 chases the bunnies and looks at them in a sinister way so she is never allowed outside when they are out.

So I would say it depends upon the individual cat.

Rabswood

I have 3 adult cats and got a rabbit 6 months ago. One cat is far too interested in Charlie for me to trust them together, one is terrified of Charlie, and the eldest cat used to want to eat him...He's too old to be bothered now though.
Charlie doesn't like the cats much though, probably because they're huge and he's not.

I'd say if they're going to be near eachother, I'd feel safer getting a kitten so that it wouldn't think the buns were ediable :)

One of my eldery cats is scared of my house rabbits, while the other one ignores them. I read somewhere that it may be best not to have kittens and rabbits together, as the kittens may be too exuberant for the rabbits. I do not know if that holds true, though.

No matter what you do, NEVER leave cats and rabbits together unsupervised. Better safe than sorry!

Back