• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Bunny that nobody wanted.

MagikalKat

New Kit
Hi all,
I decided to start a post about how different people came to have their buns. Whether thru rescue, adoption, friends, family, the side of the road or what have you. So here's the story of my bun "Brownie".
I got my bun from my friend Rita. And Rita came to have "Brownie" thru another friend of hers who was a teacher. The teacher friend had originally got "Brownie" from a pet store as a classroom pet for the kids. So the kids named him "Brownie". The kids all had turns feeding him and taking care of him and such until the middle of the year when none of the kids was interested in him anymore and then it was up to the teacher to care for him, take him home on school holidays and summer vacations and such.Then she got pregnant, and decided she couldn;t take care of brownie anymore so she gave him to my friend Rita.
Well, Rita brought him home for her 10 year old son Aj as a pet. But it ended up as Aj not liking poor Brownie, complaining that Brownie made too much noise at night, jumping around in his cage, and crunching on his food, and kept Aj awake. So then Rita had to take care of him since her son wouldn't. Then she decided that she didn;t have time to take care of him so then asked me if i wanted him or else he would have to go to the pound.
So then me and my bf decided to take poor Brownie cause nobody else wanted him. So that's how we came to have Brownie cause he ended up being the bun that nobody wanted.:(

Awww :( Thats so sad, poor Brownie :(

Im glad hes with you now, hopefully you'll be his forever home :) He mustve been so confused before, moving house all the time :(

My first bunny, Lottie was from a petshop :oops: This was before i knew about rescues :) Then i started fostering for the rspca, and George my was one of my foster bunnies who i decided to keep :oops:

Ronnie was from a breeder, and Lolly was an unwanted bunny who was bought for a 2 year old :?

Im glad Brownie is now safe :) Give him nose rubs from me xXx

Having had a lot of buns, who started off as fosters, I thought I'd tell my first rabbit's story.
Benji was a 2 month (ish) old wild bunny, who we scrapped off a duel carriageway. He had a broken front leg and a badly bashed eye. We were driving home late at night and spotted a small lump in the middle of the lane. We did a u-turn at the next roundabout and another u-turn at the next rounabout, to get back to the spot. Mike stopped the car and I ran across the road and scooped him up, luckily it was late quiet.
We put him in a quiet, warm spot overnight and took him to the vet the next day, the vet didn't expect him to live, but he did, although he was never a big lad. We debated releasing him, but although he wasn't cuddly, he wasn't scared, and the cat's didn't worry him. He was neutered, vaccinated and Mike built a big run and hutch. We then bought 2 girls ( didn't think about rescues then, don't even know if there were any nearby back then), they lived happily together until Clover died, Bramble lived another year longer and Benji died when he was 9, no apparent illness, we just found him dead on morning!
So it is all his fault.:)

With me having 19 buns i wouldnt know where to start :shock: :shock: :lol:

I will break it down.

I have two from Breeders
I have six from Honeybunnies rescue
I have two from BARC rescue
I have one from Eastbourne rescue
I have six who were unwanted for numerous reasons, allergic, child got bored, been sold on ebay.
I have two from PAH adoption

And my bridge bunny Bella was from PAH adoption :)

:love: :love:

awwwww im so glad hes wanted now :love::love::love:

my pair have only known love as far as i know.... Alvin i got at 8 weeks old and pearl lived at a rescue from 8 weeks old (i think) so they are both wanted and for the rest of thier lives too :D

I got Lola from a pet shop, and I have to admit I didnt have a clue about all the buns in rescue.

I didnt go in for a rabbit. I went in for some fish food and I saw tiny Lola in a scabby cage covered in saw dust I fell in love. I asked to hold her and she was tiny and sat in my palm. I knew I was not going anywhere without her and left the pet shop with Lola minus £150.

Its given me a new lease of life. I suffer from depression and somedays struggle to get out of bed but knowing I have Lola gives me motivation when I am ill.

Gatting Lola has also made me aware of how much care rabbits need, and how many rescue rabbits are in need of homes AND I PREACH TO EVERYONE!!!!

I got Lola from a pet shop, and I have to admit I didnt have a clue about all the buns in rescue.

I didnt go in for a rabbit. I went in for some fish food and I saw tiny Lola in a scabby cage covered in saw dust I fell in love. I asked to hold her and she was tiny and sat in my palm. I knew I was not going anywhere without her and left the pet shop with Lola minus £150.

Its given me a new lease of life. I suffer from depression and somedays struggle to get out of bed but knowing I have Lola gives me motivation when I am ill.

Gatting Lola has also made me aware of how much care rabbits need, and how many rescue rabbits are in need of homes AND I PREACH TO EVERYONE!!!!

*ahem LUCY ahem*

*ahem LUCY ahem*

I was just editing!!!!

Lucy - my bun coming very soon was advertised on Freecycle after being saved from being hit on the head with a hammer. She wasnt the prettiest of buns, but my heart melted when i saw her as I know a lot of Freecycle bun are used for unpleasant things and I could not stop thinking of bunny. I was offered help from a lovely lady ;) and she will be coming to live with me soon - she has been speyed recently and things are moving fast. We were told the bunny was called Jasper and was 1 year old and when we met her she was about 3 months old and very skinny.
This is Lucy as she appeared on Freecycle.
31320188__1227288388__1__1-3b8f4974.jpg

AND THIS IS LUCY NOW AFTER SOME GOOD SCRAN AND TLC!
Lucy-1.jpg

Honey was from a breeder and I had her at 8 weeks old.

Wesley lived in a tiny hutch with another male giant rabbit for four months and then was dumped at a rescue where I rehomed him from.

Graham was from the P@H adoption centre and Strawberry (who we have only had a week) came was rescued by bunny_mad after her owner was selling her too young. She came to live with me at 14 weeks old and will be bonded with Graham in a few weeks time.

CoCo--my bridge bunny--was dropped off at Petco(an American pet store chain) as the owners were supposedly moving. They didn't, I saw them numerous times after that. She was just aggressive and being spayed fixed her right up!

Brown Rabbit--also dumped at Petco, because he was disgusting:evil: His cage was putrid, I have to admit, but he is lovely:)

Smokey--bought at a pet store of ill reput. I didn't know about rabbit rescues at that time:oops: but I wouldn't trade her for the world!

Baloo--adopted from Animal Lifeline, I learned, see!:D

Eric and Ernie were from a pet shop ( I didn't know about rescues then)
My husband bought them for me for our 5th anniversary (5 years is wood - he bought me a hutch and 2 rabbits) as a surprise. I had seen them a couple of weeks before but needed running shoes, so said I'd have them instead. I hadn;t realised he had paid for them already!!!

I never intended on getting more rabbits.
But I saw Honey in the same pet shop as Eric and Ernie and found out she was their half sister.
I fell in Love with her but knew I couldn;t have her.
However she started to have problems with her eyes and the pet shop owner decided she couldn't sell her and was going to send her back to the breeders.
I thought she had gone....

2 weeks later I found out she was at the back of the shop, She had got very big and was in a small cage and still had the eye problem ( even though the pets shop owner had been bathing it every day)

It was the day after that, I had to go and get her.

They are all so special.

My very 1st bun when young was a shop bun, my 2nd was a school pet that they didnt want because they had new kits and she bit people (she was a big girl in a tiny cage she couldnt turn hardly had no bed part! They fed them :censored: and didnt clean them out and she never saw grass untill I joined the pet club and harrased teacher to buy stuff for them in end I got to take her home and they got rid of pet club! It was broke into and buns were set on fire etc Sweeps story is on our page www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com under eternally resting!
Then got Winnie again badly treat (rescue) and he chose Angel who wouldn't be alive if had not been rescued or if vet had her way (rescue) their story is told in their book Not just a Rabbit which is raising money for the rescues where they came from.

My Floppy is a gum tree advert :( i was browsing for someone who made hutches and i saw him in this tiny cage and so sad, for some reason he melted my heart, i posted the advert to the hugosthere on here who sent her a message, as the days went by i kept thinking about him and she didn't get back in touch with hugosthere, so i spoke with hugosthere and decided i'd contact the lady myself. I did, she told me he was stuck in the cage most days as they worked full time, when i asked what sex he was she couldn't tell me coz it never bothered her :roll: so we went and got him, things were worse than i thought, he was in the tiniest hutch, food bowl screwed to the side so never been washed with a bit of wilko's own rabbit food in, tiny amount of sawdust with a carrot thrown in, hutch floor to one side was falling down and the water bottle was green inside :evil: so as soon as we got out of the car the whole lot went in the bin ;) its took a while but we're there now and we've never looked back ;)

Floppy how we found him
rabbit.jpg

We found a rabbit one night that had been hit by a car, took him to the vets and eventually tracked his owner down who couldn't care less ( he had been running loose for 2wks in the garden) so we said we'd have him. When they went to operate to amputate his broken leg they found the skin damage on his stomach couldn't be repaired so we had to have him pts :cry: My OH had built him a cage so we decided to adopt a rescue bunny, we adopted ted who was in the rescue because his owners were moving to Australia then 2 months later adopted him a wife bunny foo foo, her owner had a baby and didn't have time for her anymore :roll: Her owner didn't even know she was deaf! Archie is a bun i rescued in november from a bad owner, he is waiting to go into a rescue because i can't keep him :cry: And that's how we came to have our bunnies :love:

so sad!

Good Grief! It is soo sad hearing all these horrible conditions that these poor rabbits were rescued from! Buns dumped off cause they were claimed "disgusting":roll:, buns hit on the head with hammers:censored::evil:, buns set on fire even:evil::evil:. For god's sake.. what is wrong with the human race:roll:????? ppl are just sick!:evil: Well, at least the majority of these rabbits are safe and loved now thanks to all of us! :love:

I never intended on getting more rabbits.

:lol: I had a feeling you'd end up with Honey in the end.

She wasnt the prettiest of buns,
31320188__1227288388__1__1-3b8f4974.jpg

:shock: I totally, completely and utterly disagree! She IS the prettiest of buns. ;) I love tricolours and was over the moon when Dulcie was in the right place at the right time.

Good Grief! It is soo sad hearing all these horrible conditions that these poor rabbits were rescued from! Buns dumped off cause they were claimed "disgusting":roll:, buns hit on the head with hammers:censored::evil:, buns set on fire even:evil::evil:. For god's sake.. what is wrong with the human race:roll:????? ppl are just sick!:evil: Well, at least the majority of these rabbits are safe and loved now thanks to all of us! :love:

It's so terribly sad, isn't it. I didn't realize until I got Frank how badly treated many rabbits are. I wasn't even looking for a rabbit and had no wish to own one. He arrived at my house after his owner had died - he was in a minging little 4 foot hutch that he'd half eaten. He'd been bought for the grandkids at Easter and only fed and cleaned out when anybody could be bothered - I don't think the grandkids even looked at him or his brother after a week or two (his brother also found an excellent home with someone else). I was only fostering him until a home could be found, but the thought of him ending up in the same state again broke my heart. It took about 5 minutes for me to decide he didn't need a new home at all as I had the perfect accommodation (a dog kennel/run I was using as a shed). When he'd been neutered I decided to rescue him a wife and as luck would have it there's a rescue a mile from my house who does cats, dogs and rabbits. Dulcie had been left at the vets at about 7 months of age as the kid she was bought for had got bored and they told them to put her to sleep. Luckily the vet had a conscience and couldn't put a young, healthy bunny down for no reason.

I'd adopt more if I had the room. I hate seeing rabbits in pet shops - they have no more place there than puppies and kittens.

My Floppy is a gum tree advert :( i was browsing for someone who made hutches and i saw him in this tiny cage and so sad, for some reason he melted my heart, i posted the advert to the hugosthere on here who sent her a message, as the days went by i kept thinking about him and she didn't get back in touch with hugosthere, so i spoke with hugosthere and decided i'd contact the lady myself. I did, she told me he was stuck in the cage most days as they worked full time, when i asked what sex he was she couldn't tell me coz it never bothered her :roll: so we went and got him, things were worse than i thought, he was in the tiniest hutch, food bowl screwed to the side so never been washed with a bit of wilko's own rabbit food in, tiny amount of sawdust with a carrot thrown in, hutch floor to one side was falling down and the water bottle was green inside :evil: so as soon as we got out of the car the whole lot went in the bin ;) its took a while but we're there now and we've never looked back ;)

Floppy how we found him
rabbit.jpg

I remember that!!!! Well Done and thank you as I saw that little bun!

TermiteFrank;2922846 :shock: I totally said:
I didnt mean she is a minger:oops::oops::D But the first pic - her ears dont match her head (but HAVE YOU SEEN THE LENGTH OF HER WHISKERS???) but I do have a soft spot for Lionheads - but I am so happy to be getting ehr even if she is the naughtiest bunny in the world apparentlky.

Is that what she is a - tricolour? What breed would you say she is???

My boss and his wife got a couple of girl bunnies from a petshop (i think they were from a petshop). all was going luvly til one day some babies were found. The parent buns were immediately separated into independent cages. The babies were all found new homes thru muchos advertising then more babies were found. Somewhere in between the mum giving birth and the babies being discovered she'd got preggers again and another litter was born.

my boss once again came looking for people wanted bunny companions and I finally persuaded OH that we needed bunnies :) And so Crotchet and Quaver came to stay. they are luvly bunnies and I'm very glad we have them.

You'll be glad to know the dad has now been neutered although apparently isn't so friendly with the mum anymore!

Back