• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Papaya/Bromelain/Pineapple Feeding Queries

sonnet

Alpha Buck
I'm currently umming & ahhing about whether to purchase & start giving Merlin either Papaya or Bromelain tablets.
He's had regular bouts of gut statis yearly since he was one about twice yearly (he's now nearly 5) with no obvious reasons why (although he is a Rex & they seem more sensitive to it).
When he has a bout, apart from medical treatment his Vet always advises giving him fresh tinned pineapple juice for a few days (which is fine as he loves it!) so I was thinking of feeding him something with similar qualities on a daily basis.
The Hay Experts I see sell Oxbow Papaya Tablets & I know from being on the forum that some RU'ers use Bromelain tablets...
But I have some queries...
-Which do you think is best?
-If it's Bromelain is there anywhere online I can purchase them & what strength should I get?
-Are there any harm/side effects of feeding either Papaya or Bromelain on a daily basis?
-How do most people give them to their buns?
-And has anyone seen a difference in statis attacks after their statis prone buns have been on either of these?

Sorry for all the questions! :oops:

I give mine Bromelain (pineapple chewable) from Holland and Barratt, once every other day or so in winter and one a day during moult.

I have also just given them some fresh pineapple juice - gave the pineapple a good squeeze and used syringe for them - they love it.

The 2 bunnies I had developed EC-related stasis problems. I used to give them the Oxbow tablets (which they loved - they were a treat to them) when their poos were stringy.

However, when their condition worsened I stopped the Oxbow tablets and their condition actually improved! so.. I'm on the fence really. The best thing I found was an extremely low pellet diet (eventually hay only).

During a moult I also try to encourage them to drink more to help keep things moving. I am paranoid after Katy had a blockage a year ago (she is fine and fully recovered).

One thing I will say is that I wouldn't feed the Holland & Barrett tablets, personally. They are full of sugar:

H&B Ingredients: Sucrose, Calcium
Carbonate, Anti-Caking Agents
(Stearic Acid, Magnesium Stearate),
Papain, Corn Starch, Flavouring,
Protease, Alpha Amylase, Papaya
Fruit.

Oxbow ingredients:
Papaya powder, Pineapple powder, Stearic acid (as a tablet-releasing aid), FD&C Yellow #6 (food coloring) and a Microcyrstalline cellulose binder.

One thing I will say is that I wouldn't feed the Holland & Barrett tablets, personally. They are full of sugar:

H&B Ingredients: Sucrose, Calcium
Carbonate, Anti-Caking Agents
(Stearic Acid, Magnesium Stearate),
Papain, Corn Starch, Flavouring,
Protease, Alpha Amylase, Papaya
Fruit.

I *think* those are the chewable ones? The ones I have are the Bromelain 500mg ones and the ingredients are: bromelain, dextrose, bulking agents (microcrystalline cellulose, dicalcium phosphate), sodium carboxymethylcellulose, anti-caking agents (stearic acid, magnesium stearate).

I know what the bromelain and dextrose are, after that I'm a bit vague... :shock: Muppet eats them just as happily as the chewable ones surprisingly enough. I feed him one every other day (cos he's little) when he's moulting though I cant say whether they help/make a difference or not. Reducing his pellets definitely has.

I *think* those are the chewable ones? The ones I have are the Bromelain 500mg ones and the ingredients are: bromelain, dextrose, bulking agents (microcrystalline cellulose, dicalcium phosphate), sodium carboxymethylcellulose, anti-caking agents (stearic acid, magnesium stearate).

I know what the bromelain and dextrose are, after that I'm a bit vague... :shock: Muppet eats them just as happily as the chewable ones surprisingly enough. I feed him one every other day (cos he's little) when he's moulting though I cant say whether they help/make a difference or not. Reducing his pellets definitely has.

Yes sorry, I should have said, that was for the chewable tablets.

That said, I personally wouldn't want to be feeding dextrose too often, although they are obviously less sugary than the chewables.

Back