• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice regarding bigwig

Watership_Down

Warren Scout
Is it possible to change a rabbits view on being picked up. I saw another giant who loved beeing picked up and cuddled. If i do that to bigwig his legs start kicking etc,Any tips on how to get him to sit on knee?:D

In my experience, most rabbits dislike being picked up. Some, like my Inky, actively hate it and others, like my Smokey, don't like it but do tolerate it.

If your rabbit really hates it, you may have to accept that he won't be the sort of bun you can cuddle on your lap. Also, it can depend on how long you have owned the rabbit, mine have become a bit more trusting about being picked up as they have got older.

In my experience, most rabbits dislike being picked up. Some, like my Inky, actively hate it and others, like my Smokey, don't like it but do tolerate it.

If your rabbit really hates it, you may have to accept that he won't be the sort of bun you can cuddle on your lap. Also, it can depend on how long you have owned the rabbit, mine have become a bit more trusting about being picked up as they have got older.

Thank you

Some rabbits like to be picked up, some don't. But some rabbits have the personality to learn that it's nice to be on your lap. My rabbit Väiski always thought than when I pick him up I will put him to his cage (which I usually did). These days I have always lured him near my legs with treats and then when he rises on his back feet I pick him up and give the treat and pet and cuddle him a little and then let him back to their playing place. Now he comes to me and actually scrabbles my feet and rises on his back feet and when I lower my arms to him, he jumps on my lap :love: It's so cute when he does it and he really enjoys being on my lap for sometime and I always let him go back to floor if he wants to.

But then my other rabbit, Helmi. She accepts treats and usually gets lured with them too, but she has never learned that being on lap is a good thing. She bites and wants to get off as soon as possible.

So with some rabbits it's possible to teach them to be on lap, some rabbits not.

You can convince them its good to the point where theyll allow you to do it but not for long.
Winnie hates it really, when we first got him though I made a point every day to grab him for a cuddle, just few secs. Every time I picked him up he got a raison so then he realised yum raison for few secs of nasty holding.
He then ran over and picked up for raison and eventually we could pick him up. However I then stopped doing it as much so we are now back at beginning and he hates being picked up. Am making a point of doing it again though.
Angel doesnt mind it but I wouldnt say shes a cuddly bunny unless you have toast.
They prefer to come when suits them and have cuddles.

Ogs is that keen on being picked up but will cope with it :lol: but heloves nose rubs ext. When we went to the vets he also used to tuck himself into my arm.

Mops was ok with being picked up - she was :love:. but preferred nose rubs or just stroking.

Back