• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why sore hocks?

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
I noticed yesterday both Porky and Shadow have sore hocks.they both still have a really good covering of fur on there feet but when you move it you can see them,I dont understand why though as in there pen in the shed they have vetbed and a duvet on the floor ,plus megazorb and hay in there litter tray which is cleaned out everyday,in there run in the garden they have hay all over the floor vetbed in there hutch and a few cardboard boxes to sit in

Are you sure the hocks are sore?
Many Rabbits have a darker red circle of skin with what looks like a little whitish corn in the middle on the pointy bit of the hock.

I'll try and post a pic of a sore hock and a 'normal but reddish hock' later

:)

I've noticed that the circle Jane's referring to tends to get bigger as the rabbit gets older...day-to-day wear and tear I suppose. All of my oldies (aged 7+) have quite thickened calloused heels

Back