• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Floor / Messy Hay

happybunny22000

Warren Veteran
Hi
My Whiskey has his 38" dog crate as his base - but has the whole kitchen as his base (and a run for when Im in bed) at the moment i line the base of the crate with hay and straw but the straw is ending up all over the kitchen. What does everyone else do?

Clear up the hay! I'm the same - sooooo annoying! Haven't found any way of improving things! Mine are much better now they are in an enclosure made from NIC cubes, it is mainly confined to that - but there's always the odd ones which seem to stick to my socks and their feet and get trampled all over my flat!

I must say, the Hay Experts have mini hay bales which they say are less messy for house buns and I think they are, but only slightly. Main reason tehy are better (in my experience) is because they don't drop hay all over when you get them out of the bag.

Here's a link: https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hay...ay.433.html?osCsid=69h7kdil5ctu891otgiucudod1

I have the same problem, but just clear it up!
I try to put kermit hay in a wee basket and he grabs a bit then runs with it, trailing the rest all over the floor.....wee rascal

Keep cleaning it up :lol: I posted simular but a nightmare as my room is carpet and cleaning hay off carpets is a pain. Still saving for a henry hoover :lol:

i line the base of the crate with hay and straw but the straw is ending up all over the kitchen. What does everyone else do?

Use something else to line the base and only put out hay for eating? You'll still get hay everywhere but hopefully it'll be LESS :D

You could use carpet offcuts or something like that. I have an indoor cage, rather than a crate for my rabbit. One end is profleece to chill out on, and I put his hay in one corner that end; the other end has his litter tray and I put some hay there too. That seems to work quite well as any litter stuck to his feet when he comes out of the litter tray stays in the cage and MOST of the hay stays in the cage too.

messy hay

I line the plastic bottom of an old cage with newspaper (use the wire top somewhere else with balnkets on for hideouts), stuff a willow tub (like small laundry basket) with hay and sit the litter tray next to it (with a handful of hay in too). Bunnies sit in litter tray to eat it so they can still do whatever they need! Most of hay stays in willow tub or is the plastic cage bottom thing. They also like climbing into the willow basket for a hay bath. Less mess all round!

Have tried gazzillion methods and this seems to work best for us...

Back