• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can my British Giant and Dutch be bonded?

Bunny_mad

Alpha Buck
I was asking about giving my BG free range and someone suggested bonding my Dutch and BG. I have a bonded trio but I did try to bond the Diuch but she was very agressive towards my nethie and they had to be split up.

I have just had my BG Neutured and then this suggestion came to light. I am so concerned that she may be agressive and if he turns on her it could be tragic however if it worked it would be great. I am poss moving end of Feb and want my BG free frange and to have Bumble the Dutch free range with him would be great. Is this possible, can they be bonded and how do I go about it.

My concern was him mounting her and hurting her. He is 7 months approx and weights 4kg, she is just over a year and weighs approx 2kg!!

I'm bonding a french lop and a baby mini lop! It doesn't really matter about size - it's more about how their personalities fit.

Have you tried letting them meet each other through the safety of cage bars on neutral ground? You'll soon know whether they're likely to get aggressive or not.

I'll be atempting my first ever bond as soon as Harry is neutered, Harry British Giant with Milly Dwarf lop of about 2.5kg. They have met through each others houses and seem already relaxed, I live in a small house and they are both based in the living room so can't really not let them meet through bars.

There is only one way you'll know if it will work.....

I have a frenchie (5.5kg) bonded with a nethie (0.9kg)

They lived alongside each other for six months in the same shed separated only by a wire mesh panel - this was only done because the frenchie had a disasterous spay and it took her so long to recover.

After a few months I would sit with them and put them together and luckily they were never aggressive to each other at all. I could probably have put them together much sooner but didn't have the confidence to as they were my first bond.

I think it depends on their personalities really, something only you can judge and decide.
All I'd say is if you bonded them would they be somewhere where you could keep a very close eye on them for quite a long time?
bbandjoey2008.jpg

Thanks for the advice.

My only concern is her. She was very aggressive to my Nethie but he was a push over. As Koda is so much bigger it may be better. However, the day we got Koda, he ran up the stairs and I didnt realise and the got up to Bumblr through the cage bars and they went at each other, he got confused and attcked my leg. Clinging onto my jeans, cutting my ankle and destroying my anklet. This was the first and oly encounter but of course he was not done at the time. I think I will give the meeting through bars a go. I am prob moving at end of Feb so will let them meet through bars and if it all goes well they can meet in the new hose on neutral ground.

Back