• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

vets bills

happypreso

Alpha Buck
I know this will depend on place to place but was wondering ...

when I took the baby bun's to the vets on Wed they charged me £25 to see the vet and then medicine etc on top. They asked me to return today the buns today to check them over (which I am more than happy to do!).

So I am expecting to pay something but will it be the £25 again? (this is the vets consulting fee - as this is what they wanted to charge me when I wanted to know the sex of the other baby buns) or will it be a less amount as they asked me to return?

cheers, just preparing myself a bit for the bill!

they shouldn't charge another consult fee for checking them... but some vets try to squeeze as much as they can out of you :roll:

mine charges a reduced consultation fee for a follow up visit,its about £6 I think , but if its a follow up after an op he does that for free usually.

well, back from the vets and not as bad as I thought for the money!! The buns are okay but the infection hasn't cleared as much as she had hoped. One bun has no chance of recovering the sight and the other bun might have a little sight as there is some 'normal' eye there. They both had an injection (anti flam) and now they antibotics (sp?) that I have to feed them as well as the two eye drops. They also cut some hair away from the eyes (to make it easier).

So for the re-check, one injection, hair cut and antibotics (for each bun) it cost me £20 odd. They dont break it down but I would imagine there is a small charge (£6/£7) for the check up and then the charge for the drugs and hair cut.

Quick question re insurance - would this have been covered? I am assuming not as it would have been Star (the mum) insured but was just wondering. So far it was cost me over £60 for this two buns and I have to go back again next week so was just wondering about the future, is if this happened again (not that Star is likely to have any more babies but was just weighing up the pros & cons!).

I doubt the babies are covered by insurance. If you get them insured now they will not pay out for any further eye problems as it is now a pre-existing condition.

At our vets the initial consultation is just over £20 but follow up appointments are usually £8 :)

Our vets charge £25 at one and £16 at another for initial consultation and then it's usually just medication & dispensing fee's at any follow up appointments for the same condition.

Although I've heard alot of charging vets before I never knew I was so lucky. Our vets are all free for check-ups etc, we only get charges is something is done to the rabbit. Last time when i got two vhd jabs and some panacur she let me off the nail clipping charges too (normally around £5 i think) which is fab :D (i normally nail clip at home but as she was offering..... hehe). (I paid £40 exactly all together it did say individual prices on recepit but can't remember:roll: )

Last time we went the vets the appointment as also changed from 2 rabbits VHD to 3 rabbits VHD and 3 gerbil checkups and nail trimmings haha. They charged for the injections and one lot of nail clippings to my friend (i suppose gerbils are so tiny that 12 paws=4 rabbit ones hehe).

If we have the bunnies vax'd all we pay for is the vax fee, I don't know any vet so greedy as to charge for the necessary health check on top of this.

If we have the bunnies vax'd all we pay for is the vax fee, I don't know any vet so greedy as to charge for the necessary health check on top of this.

mmm ... my old vet did!!! (and then overcharged me too!) ended up paying over £100 to get 2 bun's vax'd! hence me changing vets!

Back