• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bunny rushed to vets help plse

gill shirlaw

Warren Scout
I went into give my bunnies four of them their hay and one was not running out to get it as they usually do they are in an 8 by 6 shed with aviary run attached, and inside shed their is a hutch as well. When abby my wee girl didnt come to get hay immediately i looked inside the hutch as only place she could be and she was lying very still in her litter tray i got such a fright i honestly thought she was dead but then i heard faint gurglng noises and saw she was breathin but very slowly but she would move i was so frightend i just got her out and again she didnt move which for her is very unusual as she is a very timid bun and wont nornally let you pet her so i knew she wasnt well at all i rushed her to the vets without thinking i should have taken the others with her as they are all bonded but i was so worried about her i just took her.

Anyway long story cut short the vet couldnt find anything specific wrong with her but said it could be a respirtory prob or something toxix in her system so they kept her in and i have just phoned them to see how she is and was told very strange as she is eating verything they have given her and they have given her all sorts of things they are really bunny savey vets so i have total trust in them, she is confused though as she said she wouldnt have expected her to be eating and when shes not eating she is just lying very still as if in shock with head down. They have given lots of diff things sorry i cant remember them all as i was so shocked to hear she was still here and overjoyed. She has asked me to come back in for her about quarter to seven and see how she is then and my question is should i take the others in with me so she can come home with them and keep the bond going as i know if she comes back alone they might reject her as she will smell funny but also my concern is if they have not found it is an infectious thing would i be risking the others im so not sure what to do is anyone there go any advice i am so worried for my little girl she has been with her original partner nearly three years and i dont wont to break the bond as long of course if she is going to be okay.

pls any advice before i have to go would be appreciated.
gill:cry::cry:

I am no expert so some one with more experience may say I am wrong but I would leave it for tonight and make a more informed decision for tomorrow after you have spoken with the Vet and seen your bun.

As she is unwell and with no real answers as yet personally I'd concentrate on getting her well and then worry about rebonding her. You need to be able to keep an eye on her and being inside in the warm will be advantageous to her fighting whatever it is and also you will be able to keep a close eye on what's going in and coming out. Hope she pulls through ok.

thank you everyone that replied much appreciated.

Update is, went back to vets and they are mistified basically as she has been eating everything they have given her and then some she said never seen a bunny eat so ravinisly as if it was being done without thinking. She said when she wasnt eating she was still lying with her head down and not really moving much and was letting everyone pet her which is totally unusual.

She thinks could be siding to the neurological side but could still be a toxic in her shes really not sure but does say shes not a well bun. Between ourselves we have decided to bring her home for tonight to give her at least a fighting chance as her stomach is still producing this strange gurgling sound when you pet her or move her in any way and she seems to be not moving properly very slowly and then lies down for long periods of time.

Im so upset and worried about her but she is here with me in an indoor cage and i have given her more food and hay which again she has woolfed down not taking much water so ive given her a bowl in with her as dont think she could make it to the bottle and she is hardly pooing at all and there is a tiny clump of poos gathering on her bottom and when i go to try and take them away from her she gets really scared and tries to move away so im leaving that at mo as not wanting to stress her anymore. Ive to take her back to vets at 8.30 in morning and see where we go from here, to be honest vet said she has a 50/50 chance of making it through the night and she might have a seizure of sorts she reckoned we might have a crises in the night to prepare myself for it.

Its so upsetting ive not stopped crying the whole day and feel so sorry for fudge her long term partner and the other two she was recently bonded with as im sure theyre not sure where she is at mo and the two that took a while to bond are starting to chase each other again one of them being abbys partner so i think hes missing her already.

thanks so much for your vibes pls keep them coming and hope she makes it through the night as im sure if she does that has to be a good thing.

gill:cry:

I would keep the bun indoor in a warmer than normal room, and keep observing and get her the necessary care, and keep your bun indoor for as many days as possible until she has recover

abby

thank you all so much for caring it is such a huge relief to know there are people like me that dont think your daft to be so upset over a rabbit as a lot of people think its just a rabbit but i am distraught about her and the vet is still working hard for her.

The update is she was at the vets all day yesterday so they could monitor her she had a fairly peaceful night she is in the bedroom with us at night and in the lounge in the evening so i can watch her all the time and is cosy warm.

She was given all sorts again yesterday fluids, fibreplex, baytril, dexadresson. vetivex, no 11(hartmanns/isolec) a dimazon inj and kaogel suspension so they have been really thorough with her. They had her out of the cage to see how she is managing the walking and they said she was running around and for all accounts you would have thought normal rabbit but when she stops she just flops and stays for ages as it any kind of movement exausts her and she was still making the gurgling noise all the time when moved or moving the vet said it is fluid in her lungs a bit and that she has a kind of blockage in her stomach which she cant define but when given the liquid paraffin it went down drastically and she was lifting her head again and appearing a bit brighter it is so bizarre her symtoms. She still hadnt pooed yesterday or drunk anything but she is still eating everything and then some that is given to her almost as if she thinks if she keeps eating it will clear her out but vet said still seems to be some kind of neorologial thing going on in her head.

They thought it could be ecoli but again her symtoms are not particular to this as she is not jerky or any odd movements just flops all the time unless she thought it could be very early stages of it but again doesnt think so.

Sorry this so long but they have been so good with her and so caring and determined to try their best for her which is good.

So today she has been back again this morning and before i took her she had done an enormous what could only be described as a splodge and seemed a bit brighter for it still not much moving around evewn in cage apart from occasional turnarounds. Vet gave her more fluids and baytril and panacur incase of ecoli and more fiberplex but agreed with me she seemed to be moving a bit better she tried to clean herself today which she couldnt have lifted her head enuf to do yesterday and moved about on the vets table and flor a bit. Upshot at m i have her home for weekend with more medication and to observe how she is and take her back on monday and see where we go from there.

She did say i could have tried her back with the rest maybe that would have stimulated her a bit to walk more but as i said if she was to stay inside which she has i couldnt bring them all in to stay indefinately with her as that wouldnt be fair on them and at moment we still are by far not out of the woods yet am more bothered about her right now but i cant help worry if by some miracle she gets better and she is to return to the rest if they will reject her or i will have to bond them all again and hope for the best it would be so sad for hwer to be seperated from them as she has been my longest bun and her and fudge have been together since they were 8 weeks old and are now nearly four but we will just have to wait and see how she goes it is really worrying as the vet said if we do get her better than now we still dont know what has caused it and if it will return and also am worried if it is something infectious and maybe given to rest but as vet sais if it was she has been with the rest and they would have it by now and they seem fine apart from a bit lost as to where shes gone.

sorry soo long but wanted to see if any one anyother ideas?
thanks for reading and caring it really does help and i appreciate it.

gill:cry::cry:

How worrying for you! I am no expert but I know my buns stress when they are apart so I'd be tempted to bring her partner in, as long as you can still keep an eye on her pooing etc....but that is just what I'd do :?

Edit...just saw you can't bring them in as they are all bonded sorry

hello louise and gus thank you so much for replying, i cannot just bring her partner in as she is bonded into a group of four and was very happy with them all, she was with her partner on her own up till about 3 months ago and that had been since she was a baby so yes she is probably closest to him but she equally seems to love the other two now so i would have to bring them all in and i cannot house four buns together with enuf room for them inside im afraid which i would love to do as i am sure she is missing them as much as they are missing her and i know that would propbably help her but she is so unwell that we are not sure she will make it yet and to bring them all in and back together and then something happens to her it would be so upsetting for them all.

Appreciatate your advice though and concern and i understand what your saying and it is what i would love to do we also dont know what is wrong with her and if it is infectious yet.
gill

:wave::cry:
:wave::cry:

I have just had my bun Poppy ill all week so I know what a worry it is, especially when you don't know what's wrong. Thinking of you and Abby xx

Back