• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bun that ive saved.....

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
The bunny that i saved from being PTS is coming home tomorrow!
Her lovely self is called Butterscotch and is very overweight!
How do i go about her diet for the 4 days i have her? She is on a mix atm!

I would like her to shed a few pounds (if i can get her to) before Monday which is when she is going to her new home (Pegasys:D)

Any help much appreciated!

I have just went to get her! Vet said she has eaten and pooped alot so should be fine! I have just got her back just now and she is currently in my bathroom (only place my buns dont go)
I can keep her in there free range (i have other bathrooms) so it wont be a hassel!

Just going to take pics of her and upload them in the story section:D!

Last edited:
She shouldn't really shift any noticeable weight because they need to lose it really slowly to prevent further damage to their liver.

I would suggest there is not much you can do other than love on her because its too short a time to swap her food properly, and probably her new owner would be betetr placed to do it because they can do it without adding additional stress by trying to change food and home at the same time.

:wave:Okay dokey :D:D:D

Well i have been into sit with her and changed my clothes after coming out! I cant keep changing clothes when i go in and out so was wondering if i put clean clothes on and put my college overalls on when i go to sit in with her?

They are clean overalls so she wouldnt catch anything and then take them off before leaving???

Does this sound ok?:D

I definately wouldn't change her food while she is with you, it will be a stressful time for her. Once she is settled in her new home she can start her diet and gradually change to a better food :D

Well done for saving her :)

DON'T try and diet her quickly as this can lead to fatty liver disease, there was a lecture about this at the RWA conference last yr. I know someone who has adopted a bun that was slimmed down quickly and she has lasting health problems. Dietary changes need to be slow, and this includes reducing food intake. I know this is not what we would do with people or other animals, but bunnies are like Formula 1 cars to everyone else's Ford Fiestas :lol:

DON'T try and diet her quickly as this can lead to fatty liver disease, there was a lecture about this at the RWA conference last yr. I know someone who has adopted a bun that was slimmed down quickly and she has lasting health problems. Dietary changes need to be slow, and this includes reducing food intake. I know this is not what we would do with people or other animals, but bunnies are like Formula 1 cars to everyone else's Ford Fiestas :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: thats funny (about the cars)
I am not going to change anything except more hay and will let Pegasys change her diet when the time is right (as she is getting her Monday)

I have added a Prebiotic/probiotic (one of the 2) into her water to help with moving house! I hope thats fine as i used it when i got my buns and had no problems!!!

I will definately change her diet very slowly :)
The prebiotic/probiotic will be fine, it will be good for her gut and help reduce the effect of stress. I have some avipro here so I will put that in her water when she comes to me:)

I cleaned her bum about an hour ago and OMG it was horrible :(:(:(:( Her tail was basically solid POO and she has sore bits and slight cuts on her bum area! There is no fur and her scent glnds were full of white stuff that smelled like strong pee!

I cleaned her to the best i could and put some vasaline on the area! I dont know if this is ok, thats what i was coming to check?

I didnt have any baby creams or anything like that and thought vasaline would be better than nothing (plus i use it for under my buns eye due to it being watery)

Can anyone help?

I don't know for sure but I've seen people recommend sudocrem on here,its an antiseptic /barrier cream ,you can usually find it in the baby aisle.

Sudocreme was reccommended for my bun when he had sore hocks so it is safe to use with them, whether or not it is ok near the bum I don't know...

Back