• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ranitidine treatment for stasis?

As some of you may know Poppy hasn't been too well.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=163486

Just spoke to my vet as she isn't eating properly this morning and he wants to try her on Ranitidine. Has any one had experience of this??

Absolutely BRILLIANT !!!

Its an anti-GI Ulcer med. Buns who have not been eating are very prone to GI ulceration because the 'normal' PH of their stomach is very acidic.
Ranitidine (AKA Zantac) has the added benefit in that a side effect is that it increases the rate of gastric emptying.
I always use it as part of the treatment of GI stasis and my Dermot, who has a chronic gut problem, has been brought back from the brink thanks to Ranitidine.

:D

Thats encouraging, thanks Jane. My vet has been doing some reading and found out about it. He is really nice and has phoned me every day to see how she's doing :)

I'm collecting it at lunchtime, will keep you updated.

Thats encouraging, thanks Jane. My vet has been doing some reading and found out about it. He is really nice and has phoned me every day to see how she's doing :)

I'm collecting it at lunchtime, will keep you updated.

Honestly Louise I have seen such great results with it's use. I am 100% certain Dermot would not still be with us if it were not for Ranitidine.
Most Buns seem to like the minty taste, well mine do anyway!!

More get well vibes for Poppy

xx

Yep, Clover and Dusty had it for a long time (daily). It's really good stuff, although I wouldn't say it had the same sorts of results as Prepulsid and Metoclopramide. For me it was more of a cumulative effect, keeping things steady and preventing stasis.

Edit - just to add, the other thing I'd put into that category was daily peppermint tea. Although sometimes that really was a miracle worker in a crisis too.

My bunnies hated the taste and hated mint tea even more!

Last edited:
I've used it too but I find it easier to get the bunsters to take Cimetidine (Tagamet), as mine seem to prefer the peachy flavour to the mint. Caspian had it everyday when he got to his worst and used to drink it from the syringe if I held it out for him. :love:

One of mine was treated with this, in addition to the other conventional drugs, a while back too and made a full recovery very quickly afterwards :D

Well Poppy took the first does pretty well. She is still nibbling, but only if I hand feed her carrot tops :roll:

I hope it doesn't take a week to get her back to normal, I am supposed to be going to Belfast next week working!

Maybe she sees this as her chance to fully enslave you?!
I do hope she makes a quick and full recovery though and stops worrying you :)

Is it used post gut stimulant.

It would depend on what the GI problem was thought to be.
My Vet prescribes it in conjunction with Metoclopromide and Metacam.
But one of my Buns can seldom have Metoclop'. He has benefitted grately from Ranitidine.

Apparently it is not known how or why Ranitidine increases the rate of gastric emptying, it was an incidental finding. It is prescribed to try to prevent GI Ulceration. A Buns stomach is very acidic and if it is empty for just a few hours it can ulcerate. Metacam can exacerbate the ulceration.

Really pleased to hear that Poppy is improving now Louise :D

Last edited:
It would depend on what the GI problem was thought to be.
My Vet prescribes it in conjunction with Metoclopromide and Metacam.
But one of my Buns can seldom have Metoclop'. He has benefitted grately from Ranitidine.

Apparently it is not known how or why Ranitidine increases the rate of gastric emptying, it was an incidental finding.

Really pleased to hear that Poppy is improving now Louise :D

Is he on it all the time Jane?

Back