• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to tell if fat?

William

Wise Old Thumper
Besides going to the vet or weighing them (since that's obvisious), how can you tell whether your rabbits are overweight or not? I know mine aren't (I just got them fattened up) but I was wondering for the future. Like, are you supposed to be able to feel their spine and hip bones, etc?

And if they are fat, what do you do? Limit the pellets? Or limit all food intake (except hay?)?

It's very hard to explain in words, if a vet has declared your rabbits a healthy weight have a good feel and see what you can feel now so you can compare in future. You need to feel as the fur can be very deceptive.

You can usually feel the outline of bones like the spin and hips but they should be covered in a layer of muscle not feel pointy and there shouldn't be dips between them (which would signal underweight). Likewise there shouldn't be rolls of fat you can pinch or they be chunky so it's hard to feel the outline of the skeleton at all.

Dieting is done by reducing the dry food and any high sugar fresh foods like fruit. As a healthy diet is very low in these already it usually does mean cutting them right down. Increasing exercise is also important in weight loss :)

hmmm very interesting cause i always worry incase my bunny's are underweight.

Me too! Although im sure I feed mine too much! We are trying to make them more friendly so they get little pieces of carrot or other veg and it all adds up! Trying to cut down Gray's pellets as he goes crazy for them- I just know he wont eat much hay and dont like the thought of him being hungry!

Back