• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new indoor setup, help!!

PrincessPeaches24

Warren Scout
hi. we are making a new indoor run with neat idea cubes (NIC) for our 3 holland (mini) lop buns. The door to the run will only really be closed during the night.

we had them in a 3 story "condo", but it was WAY to difficult to clean, we are hoping it will be a bit easier if we can just wipe down one level.

my questions:
1. how big does the run need to be?
2. does anyone have pictures/advice?

any help would be great!

ps. i need ideas for flooring... something that will be easy to clean, preferably not carpet or blankets because they are not 100% litter trained, and i dont want to have to be changing it all the time.. They are not big chewers, but im affraid to use something like peel and stick tiles incase they find an edge...
what do you think?

I have a similar problem. Mine are free range at the moment and only confined to my spare bedroom when i am out but they have destroyed the sofa and about 8" of carpet so far so i'm going to build them a run from NIC grids for when i am out. My buns only seem to like the corners of the carpet but i'd still like to put some flooring down on the run so they're not tempted to make a hole in the middle of it!!

:wave: As far as flooring goes, my favorite so far has been vinyl flooring, not the sticky square ones, but a single piece. I bought one that had some texture to it so the bunnies wouldn't find it slippery. It has worked out really well.

My 2 indoor buns have a 2 storey NIC setup, that they love. The door is open all day, but they choose to stay in! :lol:

I have found that a 2 grid high door is much better for getting in and out to clean up. I also buy the 75p doormats from Wilko as flooring, which I wrap with fleece. If they do chew them, it's no more expensive than all the hay/straw and toys that they nibble through every week. ;)

Here's a pic of ours while we were building it (a small child really helps!)...
DSC01696.jpg

Tyler was putting cable ties on each join - which I definitely recommend. It has a habit of popping out when you move it to clean it otherwise. ;)

Last edited:
Your set up is fab but isnt it an absolute nightmare to clean out?

I bought two packs of NIC grids today and have just built mine a simple rectangular run (3x9 grids) and covered the flooring with a rug - which i hope my landlord doesnt want back!! We're lucky where we are at the moment as we have a whole spare room to keep them in but when we move we probably wont be so lucky with the amount of space we have (hence why i bought the grids rather than a ready made run.)

Not atall. ;) I change their hay in the litter trays daily, poop pick every night. I take it all out, vacuum and change the fleeces once a week. I have started using old linen bedsheets on the floor, so I can wash them in the machine along with the fleeces. Much easier to clean than the outdoor buns infact! :)

we had one exactly like this, but the cleaning was waaay to much... we want to stick with a one level run... especially because we are going away, and it will be much easier for the house sitter to clean

Using sheets and fleece sounds like a really good idea (especially because our bins only get collected once every two weeks and we could fill three bins in that time even with recycling everything we can!!)

My two seem to poo everywhere they're good with wee but just poo as they hop about and dont seem to get toilet training so i'm worried a higher storey set up would be an absolute nightmare to keep clean.

Using sheets and fleece sounds like a really good idea (especially because our bins only get collected once every two weeks and we could fill three bins in that time even with recycling everything we can!!)

My two seem to poo everywhere they're good with wee but just poo as they hop about and dont seem to get toilet training so i'm worried a higher storey set up would be an absolute nightmare to keep clean.

My boy is brilliant, he never makes a mess, but last week I bonded him with Miffy, who has been an outdoor bun until now. She is MESSY! :shock:

But, she tends to only groom and chill in the upstairs part, the feeding gets done on the ground floor, so the pooping gets done downstairs too.

This is our second attempt at building the NIC, I think you may have to try it out a few times, and find out what works best for you and your buns. Mine are going back out in the spring, as they have a bun house waiting for them (Nicholas's old home, where he lived with Maggie before she died in November).

Just as long as we get piccies! :wave:

I have a large piece of PVC stuff on teh floor of my NIC enclosure - much easier to wipe clean than ut was when I had fleeces down and was washing them every couple of days. Also waterproof so doesn't let the wee through to the carpet below.

Back