• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Handling rabbits (bunny cuddles)

jenzel5

Mama Doe
Hayden and Dudley don't like to be picked up or held at all! They don't mind lovies on the floor but don't like cuddles. I have never tried to keep handling them as they seem to get stressed and I don't want them to be. Should I have persisted with it and kept handling them a little every day or do you think it is right not to stress them out? I know a lot of rabbits don't like to be handled although i do miss a cuddly bun. I know it sounds weird but when i am upset i would really like a bunny cuddle but they just don't want to give me 1:(. I love them all the same but wondered what other people thought.

Peoples opinions differ on this but I handle mine to get them used to it. Come summer I check their bums twice a day so they dont have much choice but get used to it. I couldnt check them for flystrike if I couldnt handle them so its for there benefit in the long run. Mine arnt cuddle bunnies but dont stress when I pick them up. I dont hold them for long as I dont want to upset them . :D

Peoples opinions differ on this but I handle mine to get them used to it. Come summer I check their bums twice a day so they dont have much choice but get used to it. I couldnt check them for flystrike if I couldnt handle them so its for there benefit in the long run. Mine arnt cuddle bunnies but dont stress when I pick them up. I dont hold them for long as I dont want to upset them . :D

I am able to check them and I am able to clip nails and administer panacur etc but they do get stressed. I have found a couple ways for them to be relaxed but they still get stressed and i hate that. I want them to be comfortable when i hold them.

Charlie is fine when I've got hold of him (you can tell he'd rather be on the floor, but he won't fight me), he just hates actually being lifted or put back down. But he is very cuddley anyway and will jump into bed with you, or sit on your chest when you're laid down for a stroke

I am able to check them and I am able to clip nails and administer panacur etc but they do get stressed. I have found a couple ways for them to be relaxed but they still get stressed and i hate that. I want them to be comfortable when i hold them.

Aww I think they are trying to keep mommy on her toes. I would preserver and see if things improve. I would try handling them every other day perhaps , just a quick pick up and straight down and increase the time slowly. I would also accept they will never be cuddle buns :lol: :lol:

Out of my four buns only Daisy hates being handled. I tried handling her a little each day but it never seemed to change her! I thinks ome buns will put up with being picked up and some won't!

None of mine like being held at all and only two like having nose rubs and being fussed. I've never pushed them to like cuddles because they clearly don't like it and I can pick them up for health checks and nails being done so I'm not too fussed.

My buns hate being handle too and foo foo gets so stressed, if we pick her up she won't come near us for days after. We tried trying to get her used to being picked up everyday but she hated us for it so now we never pick her up unless we have to and she's very happy with that. I think if you tried handling them everyday getting them used to it and they still got stressed about be picked up then you shouldn't persist but every bun is different. I just cuddle my buns on the floor or on their wee sofa :D

Aww I think they are trying to keep mommy on her toes. I would preserver and see if things improve. I would try handling them every other day perhaps , just a quick pick up and straight down and increase the time slowly. I would also accept they will never be cuddle buns :lol: :lol:

I pick them up every day as I pick them up to bring them in to the living room from the utility room. They are ok for about 2 seconds and then want down. I do pick them up every now and again and try and give them a proper cuddle but nope, they would much rather be cuddled up 2 eachother. Im glad they have eachother but... boohoo. My last rabbit was very cuddly but i had her from a baby and handled her pretty much every day.

I pick them up every day as I pick them up to bring them in to the living room from the utility room. They are ok for about 2 seconds and then want down. I do pick them up every now and again and try and give them a proper cuddle but nope, they would much rather be cuddled up 2 eachother. Im glad they have eachother but... boohoo. My last rabbit was very cuddly but i had her from a baby and handled her pretty much every day.

Bless them, they do look so cute together. I too would love a cuddle bun someday but as mine are all outside I know thats not gonna happen . one day :love:

Teddy doesn't really like cuddles, he'll stand being picked up to be moved but he gets away as soon as he can. It's not really an issue though, he follows me everywhere and will jump up onto the sofa or bed with me to be stroked so i'm quite happy with that. I think as long as you can stroke your buns and they are happy spending time with you then that's brill.

You could try spending lots of time sat on the floor with them, they should come over and explore you when they are confident and might well jump onto your lap and be stroked, if it's on their own terms and they know they can escape whenever they want to they may decide a cuddle is a good thing :)

i've had mine since they where babies so i have handled them loads and i pick them up everyday to carry them into the house, ted loves been cuddled when i'm holding her and would sit all day in my arms but when she's running about she doesn't really like to be bothered where petal is completely different, she's not fussed on being carried but tolerates it, but she loves snuggles on the sofa. think it really depends on the bunny too. you need to make sure thought that you can lift them for vet checks and fly strike checks.

Many rabbits NEVER like being cuddled - it's natural really as being picked up is what happens when they are attacked in the wild. I have bunnies that will sit and be cuddled happily, but I also have some which hate it. Yes, they get used to handling for claw clipping/bum checks etc but there is a difference between tolerating this and sitting in your arms while you stroke them. I often get a nip if they think I am being cheeky and trying to sneak in a cuddle!

Try giving them attention on their own terms - on the floor, or letting them come to you on the sofa or whatever they prefer. Don't give up on handling because it is needed for health checks, but try not to hope too much that they will want proper bunny cuddles from you!

Back