• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should i get Dylan Neautered?

Dylans_Mam

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone.

Dylan is about 6 months now and I am not sure if i should take him to get naeutered or not. Do male rabbits need to be neautered to reduce the risk of any health problems? What are the reasons why he should be neautered? Dylan is soft as clarts and he has never shown any signs of being aggressive. My vet said that rabbits are a potential anesthetic risk, this really concerns me so don't want to put him in any unnecessary danger for no reason. I just dont know what to do :?

I always would. It can reduce the chances of future hormonal behavoiur, testicular cancer & spraying. It xan make them easier to litter train & improve chewing & you can get him a girlfriend:)

If you are concerned about GA, you can ask the vet to do bloods first:)

Hello

Having Dylan neutered would be of great benefit :D
He would be able to have a Bunny friend for a start. Also, it would be very frustrating for him to be left entire. He'd have all the 'urges' and nothing to do with them but hump cushions or your arm/leg !!

Entire Bucks can potentially develope Testicular cancer, although this is not as common as Uterine Cancer in entire Does.

If your Vet does not operate on many Rabbits (which by the sounds of it he/she doesn't) try shopping around for one who does. Whilst any GA for any living being carries risks, those risks are far less now with the great advances in Bunny anesthesia.
I would definately advise neutering as long as your Bun is in good health and you consult a Bunny savvy Vet :)

Yeah, i would love to get him a girlfriend :D. Would this change his personality at all? Just he is so lovely and i would hate to change that.

I had my male done yesterday and was really worried about him but he was fine! He was eating withing an hour of coming round and although is still a little quiet he is doing reallly well.

6 weeks time and he will get to meet his lovely girlfriend (who is currently living in another room) and will keep you updated with any behavioural changes.

If you post where abouts u live maybe someone could suggest a rabbit friendly vet near you.

I had my male done yesterday and was really worried about him but he was fine! He was eating withing an hour of coming round and although is still a little quiet he is doing reallly well.

6 weeks time and he will get to meet his lovely girlfriend (who is currently living in another room) and will keep you updated with any behavioural changes.

If you post where abouts u live maybe someone could suggest a rabbit friendly vet near you.

Aww, i'm pleased he is doing well.

I live in Sunderland. The veterinary surgery i use is very good, it is actually an animal hospital, the surgeons are very good. But i am not sure what they are like with rabbits.

Back