• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

will they ever be able to go free range again?

Hello

Well firstly let me tell you - I am so pleased with Eric and Ernie!!!
They are being such good boys! In fact Eric did his first flop for months the other night. I was so happy.

Now...........
I would love to see them both running around the garden like they used to. Last weekend, I sectioned off a small area of the garden, so they could have a good old munch on the grass and binky as high as they like.
After checking out any areas that they could escape they started to binky.
At one point they binkied and ended up facing each other, them moved nose to nose.
That was it - I was in like a shot and put them back int their shed with run attached! I knew the signs from before and suspected a fight!

Do you think they will ever be able to free range again. I just don;t want to risk them fighting after such a long bonding experience.

Also, just to add. When I clean out the shed. I move their run over in the garden, so they have a different view and they are fine. They are confined and enjoy the change, but I just don;t think they can be out of an enclosure.

Any tips anyone? I hope this makes sense

Sorry for the long post:oops::oops:

How long have they been "rebonded"?

It might just take some time

Hello
well we started bonding in September. But since then they have had a couple of fights, but partly due to a number of factors.......

1. A new fence in the garden and the outlook was different. I also let them have too much space too soon. They were free range then.

2. They were in their run and something may have spooked them and I think one ran through their tunnel and surprised the other and that set them off.

3. They were now in their new shed and run attached with thier hutch inside. We used to lock them in the hutch overnight and one night we had gale force winds and some old fence panels that were leaning up against the side of the run, got blown over, as did the tarpaulin and scared them again. And since it was dark, I think Ernie lashed out at Eric and bit his nose!!!

We don;t lock them in the hutch now, they take themselves to bed and can get out whenever they like. (the catflap is locked at night)

So to answer your question, they have only really been settled properly for about 6 weeks ( it was a VERY long bonding)

Mine are well bonded by Aunti Abi and dont fight but if they have been in for a week they always have a quick chase when they first go out to free range just to establish who is still boss (Dutchie)

Mine are well bonded by Aunti Abi and dont fight but if they have been in for a week they always have a quick chase when they first go out to free range just to establish who is still boss (Dutchie)

I just don't know if I can risk it. I think I'll leave it another few weeks and see how they are.

I just wanted to know if it is possible.

how about sectioning off a small area free range and slowly increasing it..... that way you can still let them be penned in but monitor the area.. .it could be they were just going to sniff each other adn have a mnini scrap to establish dominance.. .dora and arthur have a tiff everytime they go somewhere new but its not a proper fight adn only you know your bunnys xxx

how about sectioning off a small area free range and slowly increasing it..... that way you can still let them be penned in but monitor the area.. .it could be they were just going to sniff each other adn have a mnini scrap to establish dominance.. .dora and arthur have a tiff everytime they go somewhere new but its not a proper fight adn only you know your bunnys xxx

Hello

Yes, I did screen the area off - about 8ft x 4 ft . I made it out of old shed doors and wooden screens. it was only abut 3ft high. They couldn't see out like they can in their run, so I wonder if that was the problem. They may have felt too secluded.
Even though Eric is the dominant one, he always comes off worse (ears scratched and bitten and a chunk out of his nose). I couldn't be responsible for any more injuries. It would break my heart.

I was just so worried that a fight would happen, I leapt in there and removed them.
My husband is braver than me - maybe he can try!!!

They used to love the garden and their play tents and the grass and MY PLANT pots:lol::lol::lol:

It would be such a shame if they only ever stayed in their shed and run (even though the shed is 10 x 6 and the run 8 x 4))

Back