• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update: babies with one eye!

happypreso

Alpha Buck
thank you last night for all your words of wisdem - to be honest I wish I had gone with my gut instict which was to take them down the vet yesterday morning when I discovered the problem. However I didn't, I tried bathing again early this morning and still closed.

I havejust got back from the vets. The eyes are now open (yippee) however both eyes are cloudy. She said one rabbit looked worse than the other but only time will tell if they will recover the sight or if the damage is permanent. I now have antibotics (sp?) to be given twice a day and some other thing to be do 4 times a day and I have to bathe the eyes every couple of hours (to ensure they remain open and gunk free) - I am going to be a busy lady!

I have to go back to the vets on friday too, for them to check the eyes again.

Feeling better that at least the eyes are open, feeling sad if they are blind but I am assuming they will lead a 'normal' life as such?

I'm so glad you got them down to the vets :)

If they are blind in that eye they may need some adjustments made, but they can lead a very happy life nonetheless. Are you planning to keep the babies?

I had a bun who was blind in one eye and she did fine. Her only problems were that she would run towards her good eye, so always ran towards the right. If her left eye was facing us we had to talk to her so that she knew we were there so she didn't jump and bite or anything like that.

I'm so glad you got them down to the vets :)

If they are blind in that eye they may need some adjustments made, but they can lead a very happy life nonetheless. Are you planning to keep the babies?

I had a bun who was blind in one eye and she did fine. Her only problems were that she would run towards her good eye, so always ran towards the right. If her left eye was facing us we had to talk to her so that she knew we were there so she didn't jump and bite or anything like that.

thank you, sore subject re keeping them! Before I knew about the eyes, I was unsure if I should keep one of the four anyway and try to bond them with mum & dad (then they could all live free range) and then had decided due to costs of neutering/spreyed (the dad is done, the mum is still to be done) and what if's they dont bond that I would re-home them all. When I saw the little ones with the eyes yesterday, I was talking to hubby and I said we would have to keep them to ensure they would have a good life and he said no way! (i was thinking those two could stay together and mum & dad could stay together so two 'couples' so to speak). He said 2 was enough (the mum & dad) and we can't cope with anymore! (not enough grass he said!). cue me getting hump big time!
so at the mo, to be honest the future for them is undecided. I personally think another two wouldn't make much difference (after all we have 7 at the moment, and 9 up until last weekend!) but hubby really seems to be putting his foot down. I have time on my side, they are only 3 wks so not really to leave mum for a while so hopefully I can work on him (unless I can find someone willing to take them on who I trust - these just seem more special than the others - meant in a nice way!)

You are quite close to us so if there is anything we can do to help just let me know :D:wave:

thank you! are you MK way? I know I promised that I would come and help someone out (cleaning hutches etc) and things have just been so busy at the mo!

another little update, one rabbit seems to be really responding well and when I just checked him/her the eye was open! yippee! still not 'normal', look very red but it was open! The other little one had the eye closed again, I did manage to open it again but was hoping that it might have stayed open by itself. On the plus side they have started nibbling on the food & hay too, which is great:)

thank you! are you MK way? I know I promised that I would come and help someone out (cleaning hutches etc) and things have just been so busy at the mo!

another little update, one rabbit seems to be really responding well and when I just checked him/her the eye was open! yippee! still not 'normal', look very red but it was open! The other little one had the eye closed again, I did manage to open it again but was hoping that it might have stayed open by itself. On the plus side they have started nibbling on the food & hay too, which is great:)

Yes we are between MK and Dunstable :) Don't worry you sound like you have your hands full at the moment

I'm glad they seem to be getting a little better

If they close again, just bathing and a warm compress should help. Its expected it might open and close a bit until the infection has gone, so be prepared to be vigilant with it.

Did you change the nest?

If they close again, just bathing and a warm compress should help. Its expected it might open and close a bit until the infection has gone, so be prepared to be vigilant with it.

Did you change the nest?

the vet said that too :), I have been doing that and I can actually get the eyes open now (where as before I couldn't). I have to go back to the vets on friday for them to check them.

I changed the nest yesterday (first time since they have been born). mum and babies didn't seem to mind. I have put lots and lots of hay in there and all 4 still snuggle together. Should I change it every day now?

I would suggest probably changing it every day until the infection is gone, and then clean it every other day or two.

I'm glad you were not prising the eyes apart, that was my concern :)

I would suggest probably changing it every day until the infection is gone, and then clean it every other day or two.

I'm glad you were not prising the eyes apart, that was my concern :)

I am fair too squeshish (sp?) to do anything like that! The eyes have been opening and closing all day yesterday (last checked 1am this morning), they look so red and sore bless them but the buns dont seem that bothered TBH!

I will clean the hutch every day now then - i normally do them daily but have left the nest area while they were 'growing up' so will just carry on as normal now.

Thank you again, fingers cross the infection clears up asap :)

feeling alot happier now!

Thanks everyone :)

Managed to get both eyes open again this morning and I have just checked the rabbit we have decided to call angel (black and white one) and his/her eye was still open! yippee - that has been since I did it about 8am this morning!

The other rabbit eyes (who we have decided to call holly) doesn't seem to want to stay open as long (and it took me ages this morning to clear all the gunk and open it), but it has been open and I have managed to get her/his drops in so I'll go back and check again in a bit and see how he/she is.

And they all have a nice clean hutch ... so I am going for a cuppa while I can :D

Back