• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bunny suffering from runny droppings :-(

lisey33

New Kit
Hi. I have a lovely neverland dwarf bunny called Charlee. she is an indoor bunny. She is a year and a half old but the past few weeks she has been suffering from some runny poos and it sticks to her bottom and builds up into a ball. As soon as i have cleaned her bottom within a day it builds up again. I give her pellets and hay and a carrot everyday. she doesnt like anything else. She is a very happy bunny and plays around and lately she likes chewing paper! can anyone help me, should i cut down the hay and only give her pellets??? cut out the carrots.. .. .:(

Hello,

Sorry to hear your bunny isnt well.

I'd cut out the carrots and only give a handful of pellets day and night.

Unlimited hay should be provided.

Sounds like the the flora in her gut are upset. Increasing the hay and decreasing pellets should help.

Sorry I forgot how old she is? veggies in youngsters should be introduced slowly as they can suffer from runny poo's.

X

Sounds like it could be excess caecotrophs rather than runny poo. Do they look like sticky splatty things? And do you ever see any on the floor that look like a tiny bunch of grapes?

They are caused by too much protein in the diet, and can usually resolved by either changing the dried food to a higher fibre one, or cutting the pellets right down and upping the hay intake.

I would cut to a 100% hay diet for 10 days. A proper rabbit diet should be 90% hay. So you can try 90% hay, 10% pellet. But no green, no fruits

Back