• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny 'overgrooming' the other

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I adopted a rabbit out to a lovely couple and they bonded it with their current male.

The bunnies are very much in love and have been since July.

Recently Violet (the RSPCA bun) has been plucking and chewing Fudge's sides (their bun). They have done all the right things by taking him to the vet and have got one side healed up, only for her to start on the other side, then they get that healed up, she starts on the other side.

The vet is now at a loss though (not brilliant vets, I must add).

My gut instinct is that something is wrong inside Fudge and Violet can sense it. I asked the lady if Fudge had any kidney problems and she said yes, he has been wet all round his tail, but with some anti biotics this has improved.

They don't want to go back to their vet, and I'm going to have a word with my vet. I can only think that she is sensing something wrong inside him, and she is trying to make it better, but does anyone else have any ideas as to why she might be doing this? They are very stimaulated buns, and are still very much in love and snuggly, it's not a fight or anything, and its too consistent to be that too.

So, any ideas?

Last edited:
It could possibly be mites. I had a bun with mites, which her mate tried to 'groom away'. They can be seen under a microscope if your vet puts a few hairs under to have a look, and can be treated easily.
Worth a look....

I'd agree, get a second opinion from the vet to make sure there are no physical health problems.

I'd also look at possible behavioural problems. Do they get plenty of exercise, are they ever confined to a hutch? Increase the variety of toys eg take some out & swap things so they always have something new. Diet changes can also help. Cut dry foods right down and up hay eating - can't chew bunny if mouths full of hay :)

Tam

I did think about mites but the areas are far too specific and consistent and there are no other indications of mites (dandruff, etc).

Tamsin, they have run of a HUGE garden, and at night are shut into a something like 7x5 ft shed. They have a lot of stimulation, although that doesn't prevent it being behavioural. When I next speak to her I will mention that side of it, thank you :)

Back