• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is my rabbit grooming me?

After my beloved FBB died a couple of weeks ago, I got another rabbit, a little silver netherland, 11 weeks old - BobbyBobtail. He's ever so friendly - I'm at the stage with him after 10 days that I was at with FBB after 6 months. He's not frightened at all, seems to like being held, and explores everything with no fear.

When I lie on the floor, he comes over and gives me a sniff. Then he licks my forehead. Then he sort of pulls on my hair, and nibbles my hair and scalp. I like the idea that its grooming and maybe he is showing me he thinks we're family - but is this really it? Is he actually just trying to get a good grip for a good bite?? Does anyone else's rabbit groom them??

Thank-you!

:wave:

I would say that the rabbit is grooming you like you are its family. My ten year old house rabbit did that. He would sit on my knee and lick at my hands and my clothes. Lovely! I haven't had another that does it though!

Yip, my boy licks my face when im lying on the floor.
Sounds like your bun loves you loads :)

After my beloved FBB died a couple of weeks ago, I got another rabbit, a little silver netherland, 11 weeks old - BobbyBobtail. He's ever so friendly - I'm at the stage with him after 10 days that I was at with FBB after 6 months. He's not frightened at all, seems to like being held, and explores everything with no fear.

When I lie on the floor, he comes over and gives me a sniff. Then he licks my forehead. Then he sort of pulls on my hair, and nibbles my hair and scalp. I like the idea that its grooming and maybe he is showing me he thinks we're family - but is this really it? Is he actually just trying to get a good grip for a good bite?? Does anyone else's rabbit groom them??

Thank-you!

:wave:
:love: Sounds like he lurrrrrrrves you :D :love:

Really??? Oooooo I'm so excited!!!
It does hurt once he gets a good nibble on though. I suppose when they do it to each other they have all that fur to protect them!!!

:p:p:p:pI'm so pleased :p:p

Awwww, I was wondering how you were getting on. I was hoping you would get another one as you had so much love to give FBB.

He luuuuuurrrves you.:love::love::love:

Homer loves to lick my nose. I give him nose kisses and he pulls aways so he can try and lick my nose. It is a very special thing.

None of my other rabbits have ever done this (3).

I'm glad BobbyBobtail is helping you get through this. We need pictures.

Hi Bunny Babe :wave:

I picked FBB's ashes up on Friday night. I still have a cry every night, and I feel guilty now and then about Bobtail, but on the whole I'm much better - thank you. I bought a locket and keep a picture of FBB in it so he's with me. I do sound like a bit of a muppet don't I?? But I loved FattyBun so much - he was like my child rather than a rabbit. I think he'd have approved of Bobby. I hope so.

Here's some pictures of the Bobster!!!

xx

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1929992&l=2c61b&id=506162505

Hi Bunny Babe :wave:

I picked FBB's ashes up on Friday night. I still have a cry every night, and I feel guilty now and then about Bobtail, but on the whole I'm much better - thank you. I bought a locket and keep a picture of FBB in it so he's with me. I do sound like a bit of a muppet don't I?? But I loved FattyBun so much - he was like my child rather than a rabbit. I think he'd have approved of Bobby. I hope so.

QUOTE]

I'm sure he would approve of Bobby. I still carry a lock of hair from my dog in my bag so you aren't a muppet.

Going to look at photos now. Bet Bobby is really cute.

Edit - he is really cute. I love the press-ups one.

Yep, sounds like you are being groomed! Fidget likes to groom my face and will actually nudge my book out of the way to try and get to me lol. She is a silver nethie cross!

Bob looks just like my little Nethie Twitchy did (rest her soul).

If I laid on the floor she'd come up to me, lick my face and then be kind enough to climb my head to sit on my ear and lick my eyelid :love:
She'd do the same if we were on the sofa together, but then she'd sit on my shoulder and lick my ear :D

I still have a cry now and then when looking at pictures of my Twitch... and now I wish I'd opted to have the ashes after I had to have her put down.
She was my little babygirl, my little favorite.. :(

Glad your Bob is grooming you, it really warms the cockles of ya heart to be groomed =)

awww... so jealous... snowball loves a cuddle and loves recieving kisses... but he has never groomed me... he has licked my partners trousers... but he thinks he had chocolate rubbed on them... yes i know isnt he hygenic... oh.... he grooms himself whilst right next to me... likes me sat with him... oh... how long did it take for him to start grooming you...

Aw you're not a muppet at all. I have my old dogs' ashes and photos of both of them in a locket that I wear all the time :)

I'm glad you're new bun loves you so much!

Thank you to everyone for all your replies! I think I am very lucky to have found Bob - he has a very different character to FBB so that makes it easier. I don't find that i compare them because they are just total opposites!

Bob started grooming me and my husband about 2 days ago - we've had him about two weeks, but he's out and about the house with us for an average of 4-5 hours a day, plus the vet said he hasn't started to develop at all yet, so I'm a bit worried this all might stop once the hormones kick in.

Last night I sat on the sofa, Bob mountaineered up to the head rest behind me, paws on my head, licked my neck and then started grooming my hair. it is sooo sweet.

He is such a poppet. He's just what I need to get over Fatty. At first i thought I couldn't ever bear to get another because its so awful to lose them, but Bobs changed my mind.

Wow thats lovely after such a short time!! You're lucky, its so special

I love bunny kisses. My Fluffy makes me feel all fuzzy and warm inside when we have a kissing session!!

My husband is secretly offended that the outside buns don't like to kiss him like Fluff does!

Back