• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is dust free hay worth it?

As the title says really. I'm thinking about buying some dust free hay for my buns to eat (they can stay bedded on the cheap stuff), but at £18 for 4kgs, it seems really expensive. I don't want to buy it if my buns aren't going to eat it. :?

My bun tucks right into it, he likes the stalky stuff, i got the soft stuff by mistake one time and he turned his nose up at it,
It helps my boy not to sneeze.

I know there are loads of people on here who love it, and I used to buy it for about 18 months, but the last batch I had they just turned their noses up at it.

I spend a fortune on Timothy hay as mine all developed the taste for it, but with hindsight I would have kept them on the £3.50 a bale stuff as I'm spending several hundred pounds a year on Timothy Hay alone!

If you can get decent bales of hay, and your rabbits eat it, my advice would be stick to it, and just give them maybe some oat hay or Timothy hay as a treat or for a bit of variety.

The DFH, at the end of the day and IMO, is £40.00 for a £3.50 bale of hay that has had the dust removed.

The DFH, at the end of the day and IMO, is £40.00 for a £3.50 bale of hay that has had the dust removed.

I probably agree with you, but i need the dust removed for my boys health, so id even pay £100 if i had to (maybe not, but you know what i mean!)

I probably agree with you, but i need the dust removed for my boys health, so id even pay £100 if i had to (maybe not, but you know what i mean!)

Couldn't agree more, and I'd do the same if one of my rabbits needed hay that has the dusty bits taken out, but I think it is an overly expensive option for a robust rabbit that is happy to eat normal baled hay:D

My guys have the same hay my horse eats. Meadow hay but it does have a few strands of timmy in it too, it really isnt dusty :) I pay £3 a bale :) I do keep in some luxury timmy hay for treats and poorly bunnies :D They also like the Burns Oat Hay :love: again as a a mixer type of hay :)

The problem is, although I live in a quite horsey area, none of the farms around me do small bales of hay. They're all the huge round bales, and with two dwarf bunnies, it'd last them their entire life times!

The small bags from Norman at the DFH company are excellent value and if you ever get the chance to visit the premises just take a look at the amount of dust that gets taken out and you will be :shock:. One small bag fills a wheelie bin when it's uncompressed and it works out at about £3 a bag. We feed our own buns and all the boarders on it and it is wolfed down by all of them daily.

if you can't buy decent hay near you then yes it is definately worth it. I used to order the 10 bags often which would last my 3 buns about 10 weeks as it is very compact (weighs about 25kg-30kg). We've found a local supplier of hay which is quite dust free & relativly green which I can get a large bale for £3 but it will last about 3 weeks as they still turn their noses up at a lot of it. So the total cost for 10 weeks is about £10. Obviously a lot easier on the purse but I do still buy DFH occasionally as the buns love it so much & it's still far cheaper than any of the oxbows or excel superforage & it stores really well so mine get it as a treat.

ps. it's also great as the bag store really neatly compare to the mess a bale makes AND because they eat so much of it there is much less wastage to go out to the bin man.....my bin men are starting to complain since I went over to the farmers bale :oops::oops:

Last edited:
I know there are loads of people on here who love it, and I used to buy it for about 18 months, but the last batch I had they just turned their noses up at it.

I spend a fortune on Timothy hay as mine all developed the taste for it, but with hindsight I would have kept them on the £3.50 a bale stuff as I'm spending several hundred pounds a year on Timothy Hay alone!

If you can get decent bales of hay, and your rabbits eat it, my advice would be stick to it, and just give them maybe some oat hay or Timothy hay as a treat or for a bit of variety.

i agree, my buns eat farm meadow hay and its lovely and green, its so soft and they adore it, and its £3.50 every month to feed six hungry bunnies!!!

they get some treat hay every now and again but if your bun eats bale hay whats the point?

:)

I use the cheap hay for bedding, and dfh for eating... and they eat every bit of it with no wastage.
One of my buns gets chesty and sore eyes with the normal hay, and is absolutely fine with the dfh stuff, so I am happy to get it for him.
The larger the quantity you get, the cheaper it works out... I get the large sack and it lasts about 2 months for my 4 buns.

My lot get farm hay for litter trays and DFH for their hay racks. They all love it so much and eat loads more hay than they used to with just the farm stuff. I think they're just picky really but I buy 10 bags at once and that lasts quite a while between 4 buns so I think it's worth it.

Mine love the soft hay from Dust Free Hay. They get the £40 pack of 10. It's worth it in my opinion, as it's excellent quality and they eat tons of it.

mine were on dfh due to me being abit funny with dusty hay but ive now found a supplier of fantastic quality, relatively dust free hay half the price.

sorry norman :D

All my buns and pigs have farm meadow hay, I pay £4 a bale (i know i can get it cheeper but this place is open all the time and easy to get to).

It is never dusty and they all eat loads of it. I got DFH once and to be honest they didn't like it any more but they are all gready hay munchers! :lol:

15-18 kilo bag of sweet smelling hay

Quality hay tightly packed in bags, almost dust free.

My cavies love it! £8.50 for 15-18 kilo.
Size of bag 86cm x 46cm x 41cm or 34''x18''x16''

Collection only postcode BH22. Can take to some shows.
If your down my way call in.

Please email if your interested.
jillandco1@yahoo.co.uk

Last edited:
We have an offer on DFH at the moment, it's exactly the same hay as Norman does in the hessian sacks just packed differently for pet shops, works out at £2.50 for a small bale if bought on the special offer.

Back