• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Crusted blood dissolve-able stitches....Help please for a newbieish

bubbles25

Young Bun
Hi all

It would be much appreiciated if you could answer the following questions.... a little info first tho.....

My baby boy bubbles went for nuetering last thursday, succesful op..... he started eating and drinking, going to the tiolet straight away.He has been his normal self straight away apart from he semed stressed by the collar, his 3rd eyelid appeared but now has almost gone...... Unfortunatley he is wearing a colar becuase he pulled at his stitches straight after surgery.I would like to know........:roll:
How long do dissolve-able stitches take to dissolve?

His stitches are stuck together with crusted blood, should they be bathed even tho there dissolve-able? (wound looks very healthy,no redness or swelling)

Anyone any advice about the 3rd eyelid? ( I have been bathing his eyes)

and when can we take the horrid colar off him?

Thankyou in advance:D

If that were me I would remove the collar. Rabbit's skin heals very quickly andnormally within a few days (3, my vet says) it is knitted together. My vets don't use stitches with their neuters. That would give him a chance to clean it. Did you give him pain medication?

Yeah he has had pain meds and the wounds seem to be knitted but I didnt want to rick taking the collar untill I got some advice..........thankyou:D

I would take the collar off too, he won't be able to eat his soft poo with it on.

I wouldn't bathe the stiches myself but as long as he doesn't pull them out, he should be OK licking them.

i have been putting his poo on a high peice of card which seemed to work, i no he will defo lick them but worried about him biting them...........if rabbits are quick healers then it wouldnt matter so much if he nibbled them as its nearly 6 days since op............

He was neutered the same day my girl had a tumour removed. Her wound will be bigger than his and hers has completely healed, and is clean (because she groomed it). Her stitches are loose, but they were loose since day two and she never had a problem. I would think he would clean the area and that's it. If he tries to remove the stitches I can't see it will harm him, to be honest, but if you are worried, keep an eye on him.

I can't believe he has had it for so many days and not got depressed. They are generally only recommended as a last resort for rabbits.

Yeah I understand collars are a last resort but I am a paraplegic and use wheelchair, although i can play on the floor with him he is so quick that I was worried that if he started pulling them out under the table by the time I got to him it would be too late......................he is absolutley fine which suprised me, he is playing with his toys,jumping up to me and everything.

time to take the collar off I think!

Thankyou again

Back