• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sorry been posting on chat but still need advice - am really worried!

happypreso

Alpha Buck
My bun had 4 babies on Xmas Day, so they are 3 wks this Thursday. Two of the babies only have one eye open. I have been bathing them both, on and off all day today and nothing (except some white liquid stuff from one rabbit). I phoned the vets they said to keep bathing .... so what do I do? It is getting dark now so I am not going to be able to bathe them much tonight ... how long do I keep bathing them for? or should I just book the vets for tomorrow?

have you only just started batheing the eyes? i read somewhere that if by 14 days the babies dont have their eyes open batheing should start then, its possible that the eye will be damaged i.e little or no vision in it, id keep on bathing and dont force it open id also take them to the vets just to be seen. are the parents related? only because i know bro and sis matings can cause deformaties so maybe they dont have an eye? if thats possible :?

have you only just started batheing the eyes? i read somewhere that if by 14 days the babies dont have their eyes open batheing should start then, its possible that the eye will be damaged i.e little or no vision in it, id keep on bathing and dont force it open id also take them to the vets just to be seen. are the parents related? only because i know bro and sis matings can cause deformaties so maybe they dont have an eye? if thats possible :?

to be honest I wondered that (re the no eye)? when I first saw the black and white one's eye it looked like it wasn't suppose to open if that makes sense? the mum and dad are brother & sister (this litter was a 2 second escape meeting by the dad!!).
I think (for my own piece of mind) I will book them in for a visit tomorrow anyway (I am assuming that they will be able to tell me if the eye will open or if there is no eye?). I am also assuming that I will be okay just to take the 2 babies not mum too as the mum is away from the hutch (her choice) all day normally ....

Sorry .... to answer your question - yes only today have I started bathing the eyes. I only noticed today after the little B&W rabbit went for an explore around the cage and when he went back to the 'nest' (ie turned around) thats when I noticed. After posting on chat here, I then went back to check the other rabbits and saw that one of the other babies had the same problem ...

Last edited:
Back