• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please!! U/D I'm going to get them

Watership_Down

Warren Scout
:DI am planning on getting two guinea pigs tomorrow and was wondering can they be kept in the same room as my rabbit? They will have their own spacious cage and I would not let them have floor time near bigwig.but can they live in the same room.Our sitting room is so big.
Also i was curious to know do they smell? sorry if this offends I was just curious.
Do you have to bath them?
Are they high maintenance?

xxx

Last edited:
lol ure adding to ure brood alot these day watership lol:lol: i have two guineas in the same room as my honey rabbit and there fine but they smell alot more than my rabbit i have to fully clean them 2-3 times a week:lol:

no dont bathe them just when they had mites i had to but other than that no

lol ure adding to ure brood alot these day watership lol:lol: i have two guineas in the same room as my honey rabbit and there fine but they smell alot more than my rabbit i have to fully clean them 2-3 times a week:lol:

no dont bathe them just when they had mites i had to but other than that no

oh god tell me about it!!! im addicted to getting pets now!!

mine are much more withdrawn than honey they run away when u pick them up etc but they will sit with you although poop and pee on me all the time grrr lol. mine were about 1 when i got them and have had them for 2-3 years..... they are more vocal!!

mine are much more withdrawn than honey they run away when u pick them up etc but they will sit with you although poop and pee on me all the time grrr lol. mine were about 1 when i got them and have had them for 2-3 years..... they are more vocal!!
mines are babies but i'm confused alittle as to if i should or not :?

i think mine are nothing like my bunny are they male or female?? my friend has 2 males who are much more outgoing... when i got mine they were used to being alone etc so aybe they just dont like people bcoz no matter what i do they dont like being out there cage no even into a run or with lots of toys etc:roll:

i think mine are nothing like my bunny are they male or female?? my friend has 2 males who are much more outgoing... when i got mine they were used to being alone etc so aybe they just dont like people bcoz no matter what i do they dont like being out there cage no even into a run or with lots of toys etc:roll:

no mines are two girlys.

mine are aswell... if u make sure u handle them well etc when there young am sure they will be fine... there not litter trained at all im not sure if u can so i find the smell and cleaning out alot.... I use sawdust and newspaper but i know alot of people on here use towels... i just dont think that would work for me but up to you what u decide for bedding etc!

Guinea pigs are lovely as pets. most dont always like being picked up as a rule like most buns. They can be cuddly and sit on your lap though :D

Ive never found Guinea pigs to smell anymore than rabbits either :D

Mine are a lot more timid than the buns though once caught they settle nicely. Oreo curls up in my lap like a cat. I guess it comes as instinct to run like idiots when I open the cage door as after all they are prey animals. They like lots of hidey places in their run incase they feel threatened.

They are alot smellier than the buns, especially as I have boars which are aparently worse. But regular cleaning should sort this no prob, white vinegar is particularly great! You can also buy a product by Beaphar called cage fresh granules which can be sprinkled under the bedding which helps absorb the smell.

Peter Gurney who has written alot of piggie books recommends bathing every three months preferably in an anti parasite shampoo as it helps prevent mites etc.

All in all they are a pleasure to own, whilst they are not in my face for cuddles everytime the see me like the buns they are very calm and loving once you hold them. They are a particular fav with my younger siblings as they tend to sit still for them unlike the buns.

Guinea pigs are lovely as pets. most dont always like being picked up as a rule like most buns. They can be cuddly and sit on your lap though :D

Ive never found Guinea pigs to smell anymore than rabbits either :D

depends what u keep them on mine absoloutly stink!! lol:lol:

yeah av heard that also... i just cant physically imaging the washing i would have lol even once a week washing 6-7 towels someone uses!!!

Vet bed is made so that the urine soaks through to the bottom layer and top stays dry. I use it in a couple of my hutches. The buns don't wee on theirs so I just shake it off daily but the piggies think its a great toilet so it has to be washed fairly often.

Vet bed is made so that the urine soaks through to the bottom layer and top stays dry. I use it in a couple of my hutches. The buns don't wee on theirs so I just shake it off daily but the piggies think its a great toilet so it has to be washed fairly often.

Can you order to fit? also what do you put under the vet bed if the urine leaks through?
Also where do you buy from

I bought mine off ebay as it is slightly cheaper on there. They do various sizes and you can cut it with a paor of scissors as it doesn't frey. I put a few sheets of newspaper under mine but it is pretty absorbant so depending on how much it's weed on it might not need it.

I have 4 boys and they prefer to get on with it themselves but go mental at feed time and when they're cleaned out!
They're alot messier and smellier than rabbits though, but in my experience rabbits are so much more sociable.
I have heard that buns can carry a disease that can be fatal for piggies, but someone else would have to support this, as i know little to none about it.

Back