• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

sorry, didn't know where to put this (baby with only one eye)

happypreso

Alpha Buck
Hi, my female rabbit Star had one litter (now just over 8 wks) and then had an accidental meeting my male rabbit which ended up in a second litter being born on Christmas Day (so they are about 2 and a half wks now).

The first litter is all fine, two out of the three have gone to a new home and the remaining baby is currently on her own but will be rehomed on Sat.

The second litter are just starting to move around a little and one little baby has come out into the 'open' part of the hutch exploring a little and I have noticed that one eye is all okay and the other eye seems to be closed. I thought he just had some 'stuff' in there first but looking closer it does seem that the eye is tightly close (almost like there isn't an eye).

So, I have a few questions ... first one being should I handle and check the others? (i have always been looking at the babies but not handled them yet - i dont want mum to reject them now).

2) do I do anything special for the baby i have noticed? should a vet check him out?

3) should I keep him/her instead of rehoming this one?

and 4) is there anything more I need to know/need to ask?

My situation would be (when it all gets back to normal!) that the mum & dad would be back together again (all being well!). They will have the two tier hutch (currently mum & babies are in there) and the run of the garden day time as they always have done.

I was thinking about keeping one of the babies anyway, so my gut instict is to keep this little one to ensure that it will have a good life. Could I bond this one with the mum & dad at a later date? I have enough hutches/run to cope in the meantime but ideally it would be nice if they could all live together .... I would of course check the sex and have him/her neutured when the time comes (I am planning to get the mum done too once things have settled down).

Or would I be better to keep the little one seperate and either keep another baby (so he/she is not on its own) or get a rescue bun maybe? (three out of the four babies are already spoken for).

what to do? has anyone any experience of a little one with a closed eye?

U/D - just checked the others and there is another one with only one eye. I have just had a good look at at and it is like the eye is open but covered with fur/white? does that make sense? any ideas anyone?

Last edited:
Hi
You may well find that if you bathe the eye with warm salt water that it will open. If they are over 2 weeks old there will probably be pus behind the closed eyelid so you need to get the eye to open to let the infection out. If there is pus you will need to get some eye ointment from the vet. There also might be some residual damage to the sight in that eye.
HTH
Jessy

Just rang the vet who said to bathe them in warm water and they will open up ... mmmm am going to try again (anyone know how long to do it for?) and see what happens. I will try and get a picture too, so you can tell me if it is gunk blocking it etc ... never had anything like this before and to be honest I am a little scared!

I've had to bathe kits eyes open before, I used a cotton bud and wiped it along the eyeline after dipping it in warm water. Normally you notice the eye start to open at one end first and you just keep stroking along until the lids are fully seperated.

I've had to bathe kits eyes open before, I used a cotton bud and wiped it along the eyeline after dipping it in warm water. Normally you notice the eye start to open at one end first and you just keep stroking along until the lids are fully seperated.

Thank you, I have been doing one of the babies and nothing seems to have happened much. Really wish the vet had said come along now, I was all prepared too! I have tried to take a picture but it doesn't really show it much

SNV36251.jpg

testing to see if this works?

are mum and dad going to be neutored before being put back in together? or has dad allready been done? i had a litter last year and this happend, you just need 2 bathe the eye, and if you have concerns you just make a vets appointment, dont do something if your not comfortable or confident doing it:D

are mum and dad going to be neutored before being put back in together? or has dad allready been done? i had a litter last year and this happend, you just need 2 bathe the eye, and if you have concerns you just make a vets appointment, dont do something if your not comfortable or confident doing it:D

thanks. Yes the dad has been neutered already (about 5/6 wks ago now) and I plan to have the mum done when I can (looking at spring/summer time). Depending on if their are any damage to these eyes, them if I do keep these babies, they will be spreyed/neutered when they are old enough as well.

Hi
You may well find that if you bathe the eye with warm salt water that it will open. If they are over 2 weeks old there will probably be pus behind the closed eyelid so you need to get the eye to open to let the infection out. If there is pus you will need to get some eye ointment from the vet. There also might be some residual damage to the sight in that eye.
HTH
Jessy

I ahve been bathe(ing?) it and have just gone back to check and the poor little one has lots of white stuff coming out now! I did phone the vet and they said just to bathe it and the eye will open. So I phone them back for some ointment then? or just see how things go?

You need to keep bathing it to keep it open. When a rabbit has a sore eye the eyeball retracts somewhat into the eye socket and this in turn can make the infection worse as the eyelashes can turn inwards and irritate the eye, so its like a viscious circle. Clean away as much of the white stuff as you can (but don't go poking cotton buds or anythin in there (i know thats pretty obvious but just wanted to say!) as i said eye drops or ointment will be needed.
J

You need to keep bathing it to keep it open. When a rabbit has a sore eye the eyeball retracts somewhat into the eye socket and this in turn can make the infection worse as the eyelashes can turn inwards and irritate the eye, so its like a viscious circle. Clean away as much of the white stuff as you can (but don't go poking cotton buds or anythin in there (i know thats pretty obvious but just wanted to say!) as i said eye drops or ointment will be needed.
J

Thanks, I haven't actually managed to get it open yet! I will keep bathing it (have been off and on all day) and I might book an appointment at the vets tomorrow then.

Sounds like a good idea, if there is pus coming out there must be some opening (which is good) When they are infected like that they often close again or don't open properley without treatment.
J

Sounds like a good idea, if there is pus coming out there must be some opening (which is good) When they are infected like that they often close again or don't open properley without treatment.
J

really? excellent (i think?)! will def book the vets for tomorrow then! I dont think I will be sleeping much tonight, poor little buns.

Back