• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit shows

ive never been to a show before but personally i would like to visit one at some point as i feel it would be interesting even though i dont plan to breed or show myself at any point of my life.

We are going on the Saturday I think. I personally dont like the conditions rabbits are kept in at the shows and we are going mainly for the suppliers that are there, but they can be a good place to get to know your breeds.

is health and hygene a problem at these shows ?

with 1000s of bunnies from all round the country, is there a danger of picking up something on clothes or shoes that could easily transmit to my own babies ?

I guess the simple answer is, yes, not all infectious animals will look sick immediately and some can get into the show

how do rescues deal with the potential of bringing in a new rabbit that might be infectious ? I guess the answer is to have your rabbits vaccinated for everything they can be ?

Really the only way you can pick up any infectious bugs is by touching the rabbits which you shouldnt do and they done have signs saying Please do not Touch the Animals the only animals you can touch are on the discovery tables
Which again you dont have to touch if you very worried about it. But ive never had any probs for shows:D

new to this

I thought I might go but worried I got there and thought the rabbits were not happy. Is it a good day out? Or are the rabbits stressed? I wanted to go look at the cages Happyhutch make as i think they are going to be there.

I went to the Bradford one a few years back, but was really unimpressed by the cages stacked on top of each other, wire floors with no bedding/hay & empty water bottles. Although some were happy to be handled - some were timid & looked scared. I wouldn't go again, but I'm gald I've seen one

I went to the Bradford one a few years back, but was really unimpressed by the cages stacked on top of each other, wire floors with no bedding/hay & empty water bottles. Although some were happy to be handled - some were timid & looked scared. I wouldn't go again, but I'm gald I've seen one

Wired floors are only for the fluffy breeds such as lion heads, Angoras
because shavings and hay severly matt thier coats

I went to a small one with a friend and while I was fascinated to see the different breeds of rabbit, I felt sorry for them. Theyre in such little cages and are packed so close together, you would think the sights and smells would be overwhelming for the bunnies and at this show kids were allowed to run around making a noise, so it probably wasnt the best example of a show. I also spoke to a breeder and lets just say she didn't really seem to have the same type of feelings for her rabbits like we tend to on here :(

im going on the sunday the RWF have a stall with things to buy along with with other stalls, thats what i mainly go for, this will be the third time ive been and the buns seem ok its all clean, some of the buns looked scared but some dont seem to bother prob depends if theyve been shown before.:)

The rabbits have to be healthy, and if they are not, they are disqualified, so there should only be healthy buns there.

Most rabbits will be very comfortable with the show scene (at least any from a decent breeder will be). However, this is on a scale that is known only at this show. Normally shows are 1-3 star and this is a 5 star show, so they may be stressed with the more hubbub and noise around them.

A decent breeder will ensure their bun remains fed and watered, esepcially over an event so big.

I wish I could go. My best friend is showing some of hers there. I went to another rabit show last year and it was well worth going to (not least because it was what got me involved with the RSPCA from an advert there).

Back